How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4672
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I have a mild form of depression. On a fairly

Customer Question

I think I have a mild form of depression. On a fairly constant basis I have mood swings. I don't enjoy people's company as much as I used too, and I try to avoid situations where I have to be with people. What's the best thing to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, it does seem to be a Depressive disorder . I believe , rather than putting you on anti depressants in the first place , i would recommend you to seek Psychotherapy ( counseling in lay term) which is offered by a Clinical Psychologist /Psychotherapist. The best psychotherapy for treating depression would be Cognitive Behavioural therapy(CBT), but before approaching a therapist to seek this therapy , you shall inquire whether the psychologist is well versed with this kind of therapy or not , as it would be of no use , if it is provided by a non trained therapist. But i believe , once you start on this therapy , you would feel positive changes in your present condition.

And if , the psychotherapy does not come out to be as effective as presumed , then we can start you on an anti depressant ,but i feel that the cognitive behavioural therapy would suit you just fine. However, i am mentioning some good anti depressants , which if the need arises , you can discuss with your GP, and get started on any one of them. Some good anti depressants are --Venlafaxine (effexor XR), PAROXETINE (PAXIL), escitalopram( lexapro), citalopram (celexa), milnacipran.

I wish you good health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.


Dr. Kaushik and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have been adviced by a counselling before. I have tried also seeking help from my GP, but I don't think he took me very serious on the matter. What's the best way to go around with GPs?

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the accept.

Well, it is quite often seen that depression is taken a bit lightly by certain health professionals, not understanding the basis that a healthy body needs a healthy mind , and after all , it is the mind that runs your life , and if it is not at peace , then things start to fall apart.

However, having said that the best way you can ask your GP to refer you to a Psychologist for counseling is that , you tell him that your depressive condition has affected your professional as well as your personal life ,as you have been put under a lot of pressure at your job and at home for not been able to concentrate in work properly and all this you attribute to your depressive condition, and if any further delay is done in providing you the right treatment then it might just take its toll on you and it might just be too hard for you to take . So, you need to present your case to your GP, in such a way that , if you are devoid of treatment any further, then you might just break down and also make him realise that because of him taking your condition as trivial , you have already suffered a lot in your personal and professional life , make it sound in such a way that it leads to therapeutic concern in him for you, that is when he would refer you to a psychologist or may treat accordingly.

But , inspire of doing all this , if he still , does not take you seriously , then i suggest , you either seek help from another GP, or directly approach a Psychotherapist/ psychologist and present your case to him/her.