How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister in law is showing signs of Mania. Sleeplessness

Resolved Question:

My sister in law is showing signs of Mania. Sleeplessness not eating fast talking obsessive goals and blames her husband for all their troubles and he caused them all etc. Her brother was a manic depressive and actually died aged 47 drinking being part of his problem. She doesn't drink but how do we get her to see a doctor as she thinks there is nothing wrong with her.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

It does indeed sound as though your sister-in-law is showing signs of mania and I'm glad that you're trying to get her some help.

One way to get help for someone who is reluctant is to frame it as a family intervention- saying that you are all having some problems and could use some help to communicate better with each other. Then schedule an appointment with a family therapist, go together as a family, and talk about your concerns for your sister-in-law once you're there. My guess is that there ARE in fact ways that your sister-in-law's behavior is affecting and concerning the whole family, so this kind of meeting could really be useful to all of you.

Another way to get some help for your sister-in-law is to take her to a local hospital or crisis center. If she meets criteria for dangerousness to self or others (and suicidal or homicial feelings) then she can be involuntarily sent to a psychiatric facility where she will be further evaluated and then either committed or released.

The tricky part is when someone doesn't meet criteria for involuntary commitment, won't agree to family or individual therapy, and continues to display manic-type behaviors. I don't know how the mental health system works in Ireland, but in the US there is no good way to get help for someone who fits this category.

Lively and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions