How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a Dr of psychology who works with my wife (an RN) is

Resolved Question:

If a Dr of psychology who works with my wife (an RN) is being a shoulder to cry on lets say a sort of emotional affair is he crossing the line of Do no Harm 50% of her cell calls have been to and from him as she and I are trying to work out our problems with paid proffesionals and he had expressed an interest in her when they meet some 6 months back I have asked him to let us work through this and leave her alone (today) USA PA
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

This sounds like a very complicated situation and I can understand why you are concerned. Typically psychologists limit their relationships with patients to office visits only and this is consistent with the ethical and legal guidelines under which we practice. It sounds however that your wife works with this psychologist which would change their relationship from doctor/patient to co-workers, which would alter the rules under which they can relate.

In short, if your wife is paying this man to be her therapist, it is not appropriate for them to be exchanging multiple cell phone calls and expressing sexual interest in one another. If this is the case, you would have grounds to file a complaint with the board of psychologists in your state. They would then launch an investigation into the matter.

If your wife and this psychologist are co-workers, you would have no grounds for such a complaint.

Either way, I would strongly suggest that you and your wife talk about this issue and perhaps seek marital counseling to work on whatever issues are happening between the two of you so that you can feel more trusting of her.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are in counseling together and I separate for my angry outburst that I fully own. We had a meeting last night and we did get somethings worked out. I had a single meeting also with my counselor and he said at the very least his behavior was sleazy. And in some cases could be held civilly libel for interfering but I dont want to go there unless he still has contact with her or my marriage dissolves as a result of his involvement. Thanks gemmm
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

I'm glad that you are on the track to working things out. Please don't hesitate to contact me with further questions should anything else come up.

If my responses have been helpful, please click on the Accept button so that I can be paid for my work.

Lively and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you