How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been seeing a councillor and have been told that a

This answer was rated:

I have been seeing a councillor and have been told that a traumatic event during 2003 may have caused me to have a 'nervous breakdown' and that i may still be suffering from this conditon due to other traumas is this possible

Yes, this is possible.

The more modern name for 'nervous breakdown' is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Post traumatic disorder is a curable disorder and you can get over it by getting proper treatment. You should cosnult a psychiatrist for this.

You can look up here for more info:

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the traumatic event was a neighbour who sent me a letter making false accusations against me i was numb with shock and shortly afterwords was treated for stress and depression, because this person has contiued over the years to make false allegations at every opportunity and has effected my business and my life style, I have cctv all around my house, and note all my movements which have proved invaluable against false complaints that he has made to the police at one stage he reported to the police that i broke his window in september ( he reported this in December to the police) I was able to show the police that i was in Bulgaria on holiday, I never seem to get any break from this constant niggling, and i feel that i have been suffering ptsd since the first letter i received in 2005, I dont go out, i am withdrawn, i dont go shopping, i dont feel safe to go out because of this person who is targeting me ' its not my imagination' worst of all this person works as a Social Worker believe it or not, if he is the cause of my ptsd then my doctors could do something about it with his employers and help me to move on what do you think thanks
I am opting out of your question, please hold on, other experts will try to help you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

you asked for more information about my problem which is what i tried to suppy , but if you want to opt out thats your decision


I see that the last expert you were speaking with opted out of your question and so I'd like to try to help you.

Has it been helpful to you to meet with a counselor to address the symptoms of your PTSD? My guess is that, as long as you are involved in this dispute with your neighbor, it will be hard to resolve the symptoms of distress that you are experiencing; it's hard to resolve PTSD when the "trauma" isn't over.

Have you considered looking into legal claims with your neighbor? Moving? Unfortunately, even if you were seeing a psychologist (s)he would not be able to do anything to "punish" your social worker neighbor- this is the job of the police and/or legal system.

I would suggest that you continue to work with a therapist to address your own distress and, in the meantime, also consider pursuing legal action against your neighbor if you feel this is warranted and have documentation of the disputes that you've had so far.

Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience: Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Lively and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you