How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4642
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm just wondering if you could help me, for years I was

Customer Question

Hi I'm just wondering if you could help me, for years I was abused as a child and I only started to talk about it 10 and a half years ago after I found my best friend dead in the bath. The only thing is when I do talk about it with councillors they say that they cant deal with it and send me away.          ;                                 I cant deal with it at all I have tried my GP he just put me on so many anitdepressants and still I'm no further forward I thought that I would get the help I know that I so much need. I cut and burn to help me deal with it and have been to A & E so many times for treatment and they still havent relised that it's a cry for help. I make up so many excuses in the hope that they would relise that something is wrong but dont.     I have lost trust in people as I have been let down so many times. I keep thinking about suicide and how that would be the only way out of the i'm feeling. I hope someone can help me with what to do now about th
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

I am really sorry to know about you being abused in your childhood. I believe child abuse is the most despicable and inhumane act which is hilly condemnable.

The agonizing past that you have been living with all these years ,i do not think any one can remotely relate to it, but having said that , i feel your suicidal thoughts and acts of self harm by cutting , burning self , definitely amounts to a prompt therapeutic concern and for the same you need to see a Psychiatrist ( not a psychologist) and get started on treatment for your Depression. Yes , i am of the opinion that you are suffering from Major Depression along with Post Traumatic Stress disorder (PTSD).

Both these conditions need to be treated ,and so i advise you to meet a psychiatrist and discuss with him the treatment regime that i am mentioning below.

1) 1 potent Anti depressant such as Venlafaxine extended release tab (effexor XR) ,or paroxetine (paxil) or escitalopram ( lexapro) or citalopram (celexa) or fluoxetine(prozac) or the newest and very effective anti depressant Milnacipran. You shall choose any one of them , provided it has not been used previously and discuss the dose and time of intake and get started on it as soon as possible.

2) 1 good Mood Stabilizer such as lithium or valproate or carbamazepine or divalproax . I think any one of them , in low dose should be added to anti depressant , as this would not only keep your mood swings in check but also would keep you calm and emotionally less vulnerable.

3) 1 Anti anxiety drug such as clonazepm (klonopin) or buspirone (buspar) , needs to be added as an adjutant to the treatment regime .

4) Psychotherapy( counselling in lay term) , believe or not, it has a very effective role to play in treatment of depression and PTSD , if given along side medications . I do not know what type of psychotherapy you were given previously , but i do know that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy ( CBT) is the most effective type of psychotherapy that is used in the treatment of depression and should be given along side the medications which have been discussed above and this type of psychotherapy is given by either a psychotherapist or psychiatrist, but you need to first inquire whether the concerned therapist is well versed with this therapy or not.

So, i suggest you consult a psychiatrist and discuss with him/her the above mentioned treatment regime and get started on it as early as possible. A word of caution most of the psychiatry drugs need to be stopped during pregnancy ,as they may cause fetal malformations if taken during the pregnancy. This needs to be mentioned so that if you are considering pregnancy then you and your doctor need to take this into consideration.

I wish you all the best and personally would like to request you to not take any hasty decisions and refrain yourself from any act of self harm or suicide , as we get life only once ,and we should respect that , and try to take on the challenges of life head on , as quitting is easy but enduring difficulties tests one 's character and i am fully confident that you have ample of that. So just hang in there , and take my advise and start yourself on a proper treatment , you deserve a much better life and you are going to get it.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dr Kaushik, Thanks for the reply but I seem to have one big problem and that is trusting people it's easy with you as it's online and I dont know you but when I get the appointment to go and see someone I get overcome with the trust issue I dont know how to get over this so I can get out of the way I'm feeling. If I go to my GP would he put me on the tablets that you have suggested and how would I tell him about it. Oh i'm so confused with it all and the thing that scares me is that i'm not going to get through to the end. You might not believe it but you are the only one who has taken the time to at least read this. How would I get someone to listen to me that I know I can trust so many doctors have tlet me down in the past that includes psychiatrist's and councillors it will be hard to trust them I dont know how to go about that.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

I must commend you for being honest about your thoughts and your trusting issues with psychiatrists and counsellors alike. Well , believe me if it was possible i would have been more than happy to help you deal with your problem in person, but unfortunately we are miles away and internet is the only medium which can act as a tool for a dialogue between us.

I personally feel that your trusting problems did not start with doctors , in fact it started longtime back in your childhood when you were abused , i presume that was the betrayel of your trust from the abuser. So , i can understand the issue you have in trusting doctors, and probably their treatment may not have helped in anyway in improving the trust.But having said that , you have to take things into perspective , as right now you have a problem which you need to deal with and bury the hatchet once for and all, so that in future you do not have to face your past demons all over again. And for this to happen , you need to be started on the right treatment , as i have mentioned above, if you have problem in convincing your GP in starting you on such treatment then you can google search on the drugs and treatment options i have mentioned and show your GP the downloaded facts from the websites, and i do not think your doctor would refute any such thing , plus it is your right to proper treatment , and that is what i said earlier , you need to discuss the treatment modality that i have mentioned with your GP and scrutinise it if you please , and just select the right treatment for yourself.

You see, you need to take a call here, and decide whether it is better to live with the same haunting emotionally wrecking thoughts day in and day out or to trust a psychiatrist one more time and let him take over your treatment and help you out.

I wish you take the right decision.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.


Dr. Kaushik and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dr Kaushik, Well I did go to see my gp and I printed this off and looked up loads on the internet like you suggested but it got me nowhere, He doesnt like his paitents using the internet for this type of stuff and just wasn't interested at all. I might aswell just give up now as I have now hit a brick wall and have nowhere else to go to get through this. He says that there is no point in refferring me again as it never worked in the past and that it would just be wasting time with them. As you said before yeah would have been good if you were closer but looks like that I am having to stay feeling this way. Since I seen my gp I have been feeling worse more on edge the slightest thing gets to me so easy I just dont know what to do with it now. anyway I did say that I would let you know how I got on with the GP and it got me nowhere. Just left feeling worse.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome back!

I feel terrible to know, that your meeting did not go well with your GP, I can understand that your Gp has an inflated ego, and that comes in the way of treating his patients , even if the suggestions are for one's benefit. Serously how can a doctor not help a patient , as i can see you are quite distressed , and you definitely need a psychiatrist or a psychologist ,as he / she may only understand the efficacy of the treatment that i have mentioned. And it is not something i am trying for the first time with you, there have been so many patients who have quite similar clinical picture such as yours and have resonded well to the treatment.

Anyways, since your GP is not even listening to you and neither he is able to provide treatment , can you change your Gp, or can you directly approach a PSYCHIATRIST OR PSYCHOLOGIST, if that could be done , then it would be wonderful.

I really feel sorry for you , as your doctor is taking no heed of your complaints and is acting quite indifferently towards you.From this far , and through this medium , i can only give advice, i hope, i could have helped in person. But , can you use some help line for PTSD/ child abuse and tell your story to them , may be they can help, or you may contact via mail or phone to the NHS help desk and seek help from them directly , mentioning the reasons as they are .

Wish you good health.. Take care ..

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, No not able to approach a Psychiatrist or Psychologist myself, and it would be very difficult to change Dr's as the other surgies in my area are full and not taking on new paitents just now. Yeah my gp has a huge ego and likes to diagnos things himself. Like one time I went to see him he told me that I had shingles but it wasnt that it turned out to be an allergic reaction to cleaning chemicals that I had been using. The other day I was having panic attacks on a bus and not been out the house since I did try to home him to talk to him about it but that was a waste of time he didnt take it seriously. I have a bag full off pain killers which I keep looking at and sometimes think that it would be better then I wouldnt be feeling this bad all the time. In 3 weeks I have taken 75 Dihydrocodeine and 30 co codomol and 20 paracetomol but he doesnt seem to be worried about that anyone else I have told this too seems quite alarmed by it but to me it helps me get through the day and maybe deep down yeah maybe deep down I am thinking what i have left would be enough. Wehn I ask for more he gives me 200 a month 100 of each and I buy the paracetomol over the counter now that cant be normal. I keep thinking that he gives me them cos he knows what is going around my head and it's his way of helping but then I might just be over thinking with that one. Just had enough of feeling this way REALLY SORRY FOR BOTHERING YOU WITH IT JUST NEEDED TO GET IT OUT BEFORE I LOST IT TOTALLY
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
lt;p>Well, it certainly is very frustrating for you , to keep on pleading your doctor to take you seriously , it is really unfortunate , but i wonder what else you can do, as one thing is sure that whenever possible just get yourself seen by another doctor .</p><p> </p><p> Also, it is my humble request to you , please donot abuse drugs , i know, they relieve your symptoms for a while , but what you are doing is not right , and please you do not have to suffer because of your doctor's incompetency , you do not have to prove any point to him, as he is least bothered. All of us need to respect our bodies and should not indulge in such overdosage . </p><p> </p><p> So, again i request you to refrain from abusing your drugs as they have direct ill effects on different organs such as kidney , and liver , and may prove vey harmful.</p><p> </p><p>Please try to understand , that at the end of the day , it will be you , who will be suffering , and not your doctor or any one else, so atleast try to do what is there in your controland stop the abuse of medications.</p><p> </p><p> I can only give my honest advice here , i hope i could have done more for you, but as you know, i have my own limitations.</p><p> </p><p>Please feel free to contact for any further assistance . TAKE CARE....</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Regards...</p>

Related Mental Health Questions