Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

What can i do to help depression? taking lexapro about 5

weeks. Can not concentrate or...
what can i do to help depression? taking lexapro about 5 weeks. Can not concentrate or do daily tasks without effort. How long will i be this way?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2009
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com:

You have been taking Lexapro long enough for you to notice a difference if it is working for you. You need to contact your doctor and ask if you can increase the dose to 20 mg (which is still a very standard dosage) or if the doctor believes another medication would work better, you may need to switch. In any case, you need to contact your doctor. You should not be feeling this bad at this point in your therapy.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything I have said.
The dr started me on 20mg today. I also had reslts of bl work and my tsh was 0.09. could this be why I am anxious? how long before the 20mg of lexapro to feel the differance? Any advice?
It is good news that your dose has been increased. Generally thyroid function is related to depression, not anxiety, but I suppose it is possible. Are you going to be treated with Synthroid, or something else for thyroid function?

As for how long it will take to feel better, everyone is different. Some feel better in as little as 3 days, others take longer. I recommend that you exercise every day for one hour. Walk, bicycle, jog, use the treadmill, walk up and down stairs. Get your heart rate going a little bit. Exercise is the best mood stabilizer we have.

You may also wish to purchase some relaxation CDs. I like the ones by Bernie Siegal, MD or Andrew Weil, MD or Louise Hay. Take action to manage your anxiety and you will feel much better.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Carol Kryder LMFT
the dr said I have hypothyroid the one that makes you loose weight and get anxious. It was low Can you explain the difference? Thank you
i want to feel good again i hate feelihg this way
Hello again. I am sorry, I was not notified that you had answered. My apologies. If you have hypothyroid you can get depressed or anxious and will lose weight. You may lose hair and be lethargic. Did the doctor give you anything for the thyroid problem? If it is low you need to have medication to raise it. Usually the medication is Synthroid.

I am not sure what you meant when you said "Can you explain the difference?" The different between what?
will hyperthyroiism cause depression?
HYPER thyroidism will not cause depression.

HYPO thyroidism does cause depression.
thank you but things are worse i want to be positive again.
If the 20 mg of Lexapro is not making any difference you may need to try another antidepressant. Please contact your doctor and tell him you still feel miserable. Ask to try another medication. There is a new one out called Pristiq. You may be able to get samples to try them before you spend the money on a prescription.

I know you are feeling hopeless, but you must keep moving forward and try medications until you feel better. There are many choices for medications and you just haven't found the right one yet.

Try to think positively. Good luck.

where can i find a good dr to help with depression? i live in naples fl my dr is good but does not undersand this condition. thank you you are very empathetic

Thank you. So nice to see that happy face! I am not familiar with the psychiatrists in Naples, FL., but you can first get a list of the doctors who take your insurance from your insurance company and then call the office and ask if they work with mood disorders and depression specifically. Then take the one that has the earliest appointment.

Best of luck to you. I know you will be feeling better.
i cant seem to call the dr i am so ashamd of myself you were nice to me
Oh, Corrine, please do not feel ashamed to call the doctor. You have done nothing wrong. I implore you to call and make an appointment. Tell them your therapist from JustAnswer (me) is insisting that you call to get an evaluation of your medication. I am sure they will be nice to you.

Please call as soon as the office opens and let me know how it went.
Carol Kryder LMFT
thank you i have to work its so hard to work i dont wamt to loose my job what if they fire me because of this im crying over anything i try to hold it together iys getting harder yhe medicine isnt working i hate my life im such a pessimest i dont know carol im sorry
i dont know how to tell work
You don't know how to tell work that you are struggling with depression? Can you talk to Human Resources? You are covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and if you tell them you have a medical condition, which depression is, they are required by federal law to accommodate you. Please call HR.   And call that doctor, also. Do it today!!!!
i cant do it until mon i work for publix a grocery store. I don't know who to call. Would it be eap? I'm going to do something soon because I can't take feeling this way anymore. I just want to be happy again.I should not be like this and want to just snap out of it. I sound like a broken record. It's so selfish when others deal with so much more than I do. I guess I'm just hoping I wake up normal again!!
EAP would be a good place to start. They will make referrals to you and keep your situation totally confidential. They are available on weekends, so call tomorrow. Please stop feeling ashamed. Your problem is significant. You must not compare yourself to others. You need to get help and EAP will help you.
I started Cymbalta I hope this one works! Dr is supposed to give me a physcologist name. Have you heard good things about cymbalta?
I have been dreaming of the past when i was very young i was sexually abused i dont remember much the dreams seem and feel so real.
i finally did it i got an appointment with a woman physcologist thank you for helping i pray i will be on my way to recovery thanks to you i hope she is easy to talk to you like you
Corrine:

I am so happy for you. You have done well! Cymbalta is a good drug and often works when others do not. Just be sure to follow your doctor's instructions, and please do not stop it suddenly. You may have a bad reaction if you do.

Please tell your psychologist about the dreams. I hope she has experience in working with sexual abuse. Ask her about that. Don't be afraid to change to someone else if you do not think she is helping you.

I wish you the very best and am so glad you are taking care of yourself.   Best to you!
i have done evrything you said ihave to go back to work tomorrow i feel so anxious i don't know if i can do this any suggestions
Hi Corrine:

You can do this!!! Tell yourself you can do this every single time you feel anxiety. The Cymbalta should start working very soon. Remember, this is a job you have done before so there is no reason to think you cannot do it. Just repeat as often as you need to "I can do this." Remember to take a deep breath before you say "I can do this." I believe in you; now you need to believe in yourself. Go for it!
thank you i hope the cymblta kicks in soon. You are the best
Let me know how it goes.
i am feeling so spaey and having bad thoughts thank you again for all your help
i am so sick of feeling like this i cant deal with it i dont know what to do anymore i must be one of those people that never respond to treatment cymbalta is making me gain weight i cant sleep what next
i dont want this anymore
Corrine:
Please tell your doctor about these symptoms. If the Cymbalta doesn't work you may need a mood stabilizer. I know this is distressing to you and you think you can't get through it but you can. I believe in you. Please tell your doctor about your symptoms and ask for something else, such as a mood stabilizer or an anti-psychotic. If this gets too bad please go to the emergency room of the nearest hospital. Let me know what is happening with you.
I care.
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT