How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need some support with psychological problems. I have

Resolved Question:

I need some support with psychological problems. I have trouble opening up but the issues I have are really ruining my life. I have had 6 counselling sessions free on the NHS but it wasnt enough and didnt seem to address my problems. The problems dont seem to fall into any one category - marital, weight, etc. it's mainly my own self esteem and the issues surrounding it. Where can I go and who can I ask for help? What help do I ask for? I have to sort this out to get on with my life. Thank You
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

I would suggest that you find a psychologist who specializes in either Relational therapy or Psychodynamic therapy as these are types of therapy that focus on relationship issues and self-esteem issues. These types of therapy are usually longer-term than a cognitive behavioral therapy though, so you should expect to go more than 6 times. You and your therapist can talk about the expected duration of treatment when you meet.

The fact that you're open to trying different kinds of treatments and keeping at it even though you haven't had much luck yet shows your determination and desire for change- these are both great assets for you and I'm sure that once you find the right therapy things will improve for you.

Best of luck.

Lively and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you