How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NeuroDoc1 Your Own Question
NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 211
Experience:  Board Certification by American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
NeuroDoc1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lately I cant seem to go a day without crying or acting out

Customer Question

Lately I cant seem to go a day without crying or acting out in pure anger. If allowed i would sleep all day and night. And i just can't remember feeling "happy." Me and my son's father split i was warned i would feel this way. But that was two years ago. Should i still be feeling this way? Should i consider seeing someone about or is this normal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 8 years ago.



Sorry to hear about what you have been going through.


Ending any long-term relationship is a great loss, even if it is better for you in the long run. There is a normal period of grief which varies from person to person after many divorces, which is not unlike the death of a love one. You need to let yourself go through this process and experience all the emotions that go with it---anger, relief, guilt, anxiety, sadness--before you can move on with your life. If you feel that you have experienced these things and continue to dwell on certain aspects of your relationship, or regret going through with the divorce, then I do think there may be a deeper problem that needs to be tackled.


Was there anything that was especially messy about the divorce which you wish had been handled differently? Do you feel guilty about the effects the divorce may have had on your son? Has your life not gone the way you hoped it would since your divorce in terms of your career, starting a new relationship, or in terms of your relationship with your son? These types of things can lead to unresolved psychological roadblocks that sometimes need to be talked out with a licensed counsellor.


Your symptoms right now are also very typical for depression rather than just normal grief. In many cases, taking an antidepressant medication can help you "get out of the hole" while you also try to explore the underlying reasons for your symptoms with a good counsellor. You may wish to ask your doctor for a referral to a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist with expertise in grief counselling and depression, who may help you through this difficult period.


I hope this has helped.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i did not ask this. actually, i have no idea where this came from, so please disregard this.