DocHarrison
DocHarrison, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
14430248

I have just had a bought of flu and had to take time off

I have just had a bought of flu and had to take time off work which I rarely do, i am now suffering from sleepless nights and completely run down and will need to take another couple of days off work which worries me more. I suffer from temp insomnia about three times a year and would like to know how to handle it without sleeping pills
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DocHarrison replied 8 years ago.

Since you are run down with the flu and suffering from insomnia, I'd recommend taking a medication that treats your flu symptoms while causing some sedation to help you sleep.

Try tylenol PM (if OK with your doctor), which has benadryl in it and will help you sleep while also treating your aches and pains. There is no narcotic in it, so there is no addictive potential or "hangover". It is not as sleeping pill, but will help nonetheless.

Good luck and please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful. Thanks.