Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I work part time for an attorney who more often than not

Hello, I work part time for an attorney who more often than not berates and belittles all of us. I, for example, cannot hang the string to her blinds properly. What is wrong with me, does she have to do everything around the office--hmm, maybe she should send us to court and she'll stay and "Do Everything.." When she starts, she will not shut up all day-if we are lucky, but she will go on about one thing sometimes for a week. We wonder what type of "condition" this might be and what is the best way to counteract it and deal with it? I say it's Adult ADD-other's think bipolar.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Sounds like you have the "boss from hell". My sympathy goes out to you. Based on what you are describing, she does not fit the profile of either ADD or bipolar. My guess would be a personality disorder. The bad news is that they are very difficult to treat

You may wish to read a book called "Stop Walking on Eggshells." Many of my clients have found that helpful in dealing with personality disorders, specifically Borderline Personality Disorder.

If indeed she does have a personality disorder the best thing you can do is validate her feelings. Yes, that means agreeing that you are a hopeless incompetent who can't hang the blinds properly. If you agree with her you will find that she has nothing to complain about, and will stop with the ranting and raving much sooner than if you ignored her or heaven forbid challenged her.

The important thing is not to argue with her. She is an attorney--they argue for a living. She will win any argument. I also suggest you spiff up your resume and look elsewhere for work. She will not change. You must learn how to manage her and you will be in survival mode all of the time. That is quite stressful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if you need clarification on anything I have said. You have a tough situation. Good luck.