Prof. Ward MA LSWA
Prof. Ward MA LSWA, Therapist
Experience:  Masters Degree, Childhood Psychopathology Prof , Licensed Social Worker Asso
14723606

I would like to know how the cognitive perspective relates

Customer Question

I would like to know how the cognitive perspective relates to/applies to/provides insight into/explains the following comtemporary issues: (1) basis of IQ (2) the experience of stress (3)surviving a disaster?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Prof. Ward MA LSWA replied 8 years ago.

Hello arleneg- Thanks for the question. Well to start off I guess its best to explain the "cognitive perspective"- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is when a client and a therapist work together to determine why someone reacts in the way they do to certain things. It an outsides opinion on our perception, how we think, and why we do the things we do.

For example: dog barks---------child cries

well why? Through observation and questioning a CBT proff. will ask questions and determine through the child's responses the why (maybe he was bit by a dog so now when he heard a bark his response is instant fear based on what happened to him/her)

Question 1- CBT really has little basis for ones IQ (unless it is low based on the person avoiding education based on an outside stimuli) CBT effects how we learn not so much what.

Question 2- It helps relieve stress by expressing emotions or situations or problems that people are having and need help with by sharing this experiences with others and figuring out a strategy to resolve the issue.

Question 3- CBT would work well for a disaster survivor but I believe it would require additional assistance- i.e. a group with other survivor's to decrease vulnerability, possible medication management for PTSD, and pacing themselves. Disasters are like experiencing a death there are stages and it is a process.

Hope this was helpful & good luck. -Muse

1- CBT