How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JR, M.A. Your Own Question
JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 184
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
JR, M.A. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need a diagnosis. I am worried about my son.

Resolved Question:

My son is 39 years old. He is undecisive about his future and what he wants to do job wise, he cannot let go of the bad things in the past (job failures and women), he is full of anger, he keeps saying he is a loser, he talks about how I would be better off if he was dead. He is unemployed at the moment. He is very depressed. He has no energy and unable to sleep well at night.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like your son may be suffering with major depression but I cannot make a diagnosis without meeting him. He probably needs to be in treatment for his depressive symptoms. If he has mentioned anything about suicide it should be taken very seriously. Although you cannot make this decision for him, I think you should encourage him to see a psychologist in your area. If he needs medication, the psychologist can recommend a good psychiatrist to prescribe medication for him. However, I think I would start off by getting him to see a psychologist. If he refuses and you believe he will hurt himself, you can attempt to have him committed to the hospital on the grounds that he is in imminent danger. Hopefully, taking these steps will help him to see how much you care about him getting better. I would not waste anytime in taking these steps I mentioned above. Good luck.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions