Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My son is 19 months old. for sometime hes been hitting his

my son is 19 months old. for sometime hes been hitting his head off the floor when i asked a doctor he said he would grow out of it which he hasnt. now hes started hitting it of other things like cubords and wall he does it so hard he brings red specks to the skin and just recently he started smacking himself on the head. what should i do to get him out of doing this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there ,

Since when your son started doing it?

Does he do it specifically before going off to sleep?

How often does he do it?

Have you made it clear with your doctor that is not a convulsion?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he started doing it about 6 months ago he normally does it if he gets upset or if he falls he'll start banging his head of things. He does it a couple of times aday. My doctor said most kids do it and that he'll do it to hard 1 day and just stop but he hasnt it just seems like hes doing it harder.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he sometimes does it for no reason at all

Dear Emma,

wELL I MUST TELL YOU THAT WHAT YOUR SON IS GOING THROUGH IS CALLED AS STEREOTYPIC HEAD BANGING SPELLS, WHICH ARE COMMON IN CHILDREN USUALLY STARTING AT THE AGE OF 6-12 MONTHS.

THESE SPELLS ARE ACTUALLY SELF SOOTHING EXERCISES ADOPTED BY CHILDREN TO DESTRESS THEMSELVES AND RELAX AND ARE SIMILAR TO THUMB SUCKING AND NAIL BITING AND THEY AUTOMATICALLY DISSAPEAR WHEN THE CHILD GROWS OLD. SOMETIMES THESE HEAD BANGING SPELLS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH TEMPER TANTRUMS .

BUT IN EITHER CASES , YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY AS THEY WILL GO OFF ON THEIR OWN.

AS OF NOW YOU CAN APPLY A KIND OF HEAD GEAR ON YOUR SONS HEAD SO THAT HE DOES NOT HURT HIMSELF.

Right now since he is very young he cannot be reasoned and talked into giving it up .

But if he continues to do it in future you can your self counsel him or take him to a counsellor, but till that time stop taking tension and wait and watch , it will wane off on its own.

I HOPE MY ANSWER WAS OF ANY HELP FOR YOU.

REGARDS....

----------------------

pLEASE PRESS THE ACCEPT BUTTON IF YOU FEEL SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER AND KINDLY LEAV E A POSITIVE RESPONSE