How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer from high anxiety, panic attacks problems sleeping

Customer Question

I suffer from high anxiety, panic attacks problems sleeping getting to and when I am sleeping I have bad nightmares and feel paralyssed I was in a car accident when I was 15 and suffered from this then 10 years ago it had went away for 4 years but I was in another car accident it was minor and no one was hurt but it has brought all of this back I can\''t cope I sweat in my sleep but I am exausted my doctor put me on propranolol but this did nothing then they have put me on high dose citalopram 20mg this is not doing nothing that I can feel as my anxiety, panic attacks are the same if not worse and my mood swings are having a bad effect on my marriage .. I am a mother and desperately want to get better for my kids and don\''t want to feel this way anymore , I went again to my doctor today he does not listen to me and when I asked for diazepam or something to help me sleep he ignored it and said he does not agree with drugs like that and I should just speak to a councilor .. I am in desper now and would like your advice if possible I just feel uneasy speaking to a stranger face to face because I no noone is interested and that I am just a freak thanks msloan
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

Talking to a therapist could be really helpful for you. Sometimes talking with someone about your anxiety and panic can help you a) identify very specific triggers (sometimes even a thought, image, smell, etc. can trigger anxiety), b) learn strategies to manage anxiety, and c) learn how to keep anxiety from impacting your relationships so much.


Some of the particular skills that a therapist can teach you about managing anxiety include identifying irrational thoughts (we all have them) and then coming up with replacement ones, learning relaxation skills (such as deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and/or guided meditations) that you can use when you start to get anxious, and finding ways to keep your anxiety from negatively impacting your marriage and relationship with your kids (for example, using time-outs for yourself, etc.).


There are certainly medications that can help you manage anxiety too and I don't think you need to be shy about asking for one. Most doctors- even general practitioners- know about and prescribe these kinds of meds regularly.