How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyPhysician Your Own Question
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Family Physician with over 23 years clinical experience treating patients with mental health issues
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
FamilyPhysician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband, 50 years old, is addicted to morphine. He was in

Resolved Question:

My husband, 50 years old, is addicted to morphine. He was in rehab about 4 years ago, singed himself out, and tells me that he can control the use of it. He CAN NOT! I am noticing that he is stating to use more and more, more often. He knows that I know but still say that he can control it. He has a stressful job but also has this fear of defaulting. What do I do? He gets his morphine from a GP near ou house and pays a fortune for it twice a week.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately with addiction the decision to seek or accept treatment depends on the patient themselves. There is little that you can do to "force" treatment or changes in his behavior. It doesn't matter if the addiction is morphine, cocaine, or alcohol - the individual patient needs to accept that there is a problem.

I believe that the best approach would be to try an inpatient drug rehabilitation again. Most addicts who are ultimately successful in getting off any drug will have had several relapses - so the fact that rehab failed in the past is not a reason to give up on this approach.

From a practical point of view - this particular GP seems to be more of a "drug dealer" than a physician, and you would be wise to contact the appropriate medical license authorities in your area regarding his practice style. If he is treating your husband in this way, it is likely that he is also providing drugs inappropriately to others.
FamilyPhysician and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions