How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JR, M.A. Your Own Question
JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 184
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
JR, M.A. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is an alcholic who is Bipolar, Schizphrenic, and

Resolved Question:

My husband is an alcholic who is Bipolar, Schizphrenic, and ADHD.   He will jot get the help he desparately needs. He will not allow me to put him into the hospital. What can I do? He has the whole family in an uproar.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 58; Female, Maryland

Already Tried:
I had him admitted to Prince George Hospital Psyche ward and he was transfered to Dominion Hospital a pschatric hospital for a month. he was alson admitted to the psche ward at Southern Maryland Hospital.
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi Kelly,

If he is refusing treatment, there are only a couple of options. First, if you believe he is suicidal, homicidal, or significantly unable to care for himself, you might consider having him involuntarily committed. That is, you can literally call the police and let them know about his condition and your concern for his safety, and they will come pick him up and get a psych eval done at the hospital. If the screener determines that he is unable to be safe outside the hospital, they can have in involuntarly committed for a period of time. However, there is a good chance that he may not be involuntarily committed and may become even more paranoid. I suggest that you carefully evaluate how much danger your husband is in and make a decision in his best interest. I would seriously consider calling the police if you are truly worried that something bad might happen soon.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions