JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I have PTSD from Viet Nam. Iam 100% disabiled as a result of

I have PTSD from Viet Nam. Iam 100% disabiled as a result of this and wounds. I am having trouble with mood changes and crying without reason, thoughs of suicide. I believe this to be from the medication I am on from the VA. Meds; PAROXETINE HCL 20MG, 2 1/2 tabs per day--ZIPRASIDONE HCL 20MG, 1 PER DAY AND LORAZEPAM 2MG PER DAY. I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE NIGHTMARES and flash-backs than the change in my mental health, I am experiencing. Who do I go to for a second opinion?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi whitehorse,

Mood changes, crying without reason, and thoughts of suicide are not uncommon in PTSD. It may be that your symptoms are just a reflection of the condition itself. Perhaps it might be easier to think about how the medicines may be causing the problem, but I'm not so sure that is the case. However, you definitely want to make sure it is not related to the medicine. I suggest that you go to see a private pay psychiatrist who specializes in treating PTSD. Additionally, there are certain psychological treatments that have been found to be more effective than medication. Prolonged Exposure therapy for PTSD has been found to be highly efficacious in treating the disorder. There are therapists who might be able to help you overcome the flashbacks and nightmares without the need for medication. I suggest you look into prolonged exposure treatment, as well as an additional med evaluation.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.