FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with over 23 years clinical experience treating patients with mental health issues
1304720

1.Are there any benefits from seeing a Psychiatrist

Customer Question

1.Are there any benefits from seeing a Psychiatrist privately   rather than waiting on the NHS? Can they do any more tests to help prescribe the right medication for you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi Judy,

Can you provide me with some more details about what you are experiencing so that I can give you a more informed answer?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am currently taking Mirtazapine 45mg tablets and seroquel 50mg every night but i am still experiancing anxiety i have been taking seroquel for approx 3 weeks but still suffer anxiety and depression, are there different types of drugs that can be prescribed to me or is there a test that can be taken to find out which drug is a benefit to me rather than taking drugs that seem to have no effect. Would seeing a psychologist privatly quicken the results, as the british national health service can be very slow and seeing a psychologist can be a long wait perhaps upto 6 weeks at a time.

Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 8 years ago.
I have some degree of familiarity with the NHS, having spent 10 months of my medical school training in England. Wait lists for many services are one of the unfortunately problems within the NHS.

There are several advantages of seeing a private psychiatrist or psychologist including the fact that you may have more choice in selecting a provider with who you would feel more comfortable and the reduced waiting time.

There is not currently any specific test that is going to identify the "best" or "ideal" medication (if medication is necessary) for depression or other mental health problems. Selecting the best medication is based on obtaining an accurate history and in some senses the "art" of medicine. We do not yet have an objective laboratory test that would select the best option.

If your symptoms are severe enough and you are able to afford (or have private insurance that will pay) for a private psychologist or psychiatrist this may be a very reasonable option. Six week (or more) is a long time to wait while you are depressed.
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician with over 23 years clinical experience treating patients with mental health issues
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thankyou for your help most useful and you have clarified my concerns. Going private may help my condition somewhat, because when i am in this anxious state i feel i need to contact someone then not wait 6 weeks before i can see someone. I suupose you don't have this problem in the states.
Actually we do in some areas - I don't think it is as bad, but in some areas, and with certain insurance companies (that all doctors may not accept), it is sometimes difficult to find someone who can see someone in a timely fashion.