How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyPhysician Your Own Question
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Family Physician with over 23 years clinical experience treating patients with mental health issues
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
FamilyPhysician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 85 year old mother who just lost my dad after 68

Resolved Question:

I have an 85 year old mother who just lost my dad after 68 years of marriage. She has a long history of mental health issues and the psychiatrist she was seeing in Lafayette, LA (Dr. David Reese) has alzheimers. Her symptoms are much worse and meds no longer seem to help as much. My son and I care for her and am at wits end what to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Optional Information:
Age: 85; Female, Louisiana
Already Tried:
She takes alpresolam (spelling?) and Lexapro but she is having extreme short term memory problems. I convinced her internist to up the Lexapro to 20 mg. She is bipolar, but has not shown signs of this condition is some time, Since my father died in April, she has begun shopping much more, and really doesn't have the income for it. I tried to go online to find a psychiatrist that would take a geriatric patient in Lafayette, but really didn't have any luck. She has had one major stroke (a few years ago), but I am starting to suspect that she may be having little strokes now. My dad wanted her to be able to stay in their home if possible, and I am trying to honor that wish, but since she can't be left alone, my son and I are her primary caretakers and we are at our wits end. Please can you point me in the right direction?
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 8 years ago.
Your best bet may be Acadia Vermilion a private psychiatric facility in Lafayette.

Their main website mentions that they have geriatric inpatient psychiatric programs, but I am unable to verify if the facility in Lafayette has such a program.
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 8 years ago.
Another option would be Dr. Susan Uhrich. I do not personally know this doctor, but she recertified (Board Certification) in Geriatric Psychiatry in April 2005.

Dr. Susan Uhrich

201 Rue Beauregard
Bob Winston MD & Associates
Suite 100
Lafayette, LA 70508

(337)(###) ###-####/span>
FamilyPhysician and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you