How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JR, M.A. Your Own Question
JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 184
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
JR, M.A. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have tried and tried to get through. I am desperate for an

This answer was rated:

I have tried and tried to get through. I am desperate for an answer. I body is raveged with physical problems. I doctor does't know what to do - says I am one of a kind. I have been to a psyciatrist and he says I worry and fret too much. I am break inh down and am barely can take care of myself.   I am not a hypochonriac-I do not think about these things happening to me. I need psychiarytiv advice. Please help me. I don't know if stress can do all these things to a person. Please, please help me !
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Optional Information:
Age: 69; Female, Colorado
Already Tried:
everything. I've been to a psychiatrist. I attempted suicide in March 2008. I got so desperate that I wrote a suicide not in July and mailed it. I could not go through with it. I am not suicidal-I cannot take my life but my body is breaking down more and more each day. I admit that I worry and stress out a lot but I didn't know if this could cause so many physical problems. I need to know desperately. I wanted Dr. Phils staff to help me but I don't know how to reach them. Please help me.

I am a psychologist and would be happy to give you some basic advice. Can you elaborate on the types of physical problems you have been experiencing? It would help me to know what you are referring to because some physical problems are connected to mental health issues. Any additional information would be helpful. Have you been to see a therapist?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
For months and months I have tried to keep going and pushing myself. I have tried to push myself but can no longer keep going. My right hand is almost numb and my left is getting numb. I have lost so much of my hair, my feet are numb, my gums are white at my teeth, my mouth inside is numb, my tongue, my teeth feel funny,my bowels do not work correctly(I do not have bowel movements unless I take fiber and when I do they are very stringy and it takes forever to clean myself up), My medical doctor says he does not know what it can be. All my blood work came back normal twice. I do not have a sensation when I try to urinate - he just says I'm one of a kind. The psychiatrist that I was seeing will not talk to me or see me becasuse I attempted suicide last March and wrote a suicical note in July. There is no other Dr. but one where I live and he is not seeing new patients. My psychiatrist would get angry with me when I would complain about my symptions, and said I just worried and fretted too much and was bringing it on myself. I am not a hypochondriac - I have not thought about these things happening to me. Please help me ! I get worse every day. I know I have been very stressed out a lot

The symptoms you are describing are either indicative of some type of neurological problem or may be the reflection of psychological distress. The numbness is disconcerting, but it sounds as though the medical examination came back good. Have you been to see a neurologist? If not, I strongly suggest you find a neurologist and make an appointment to discuss the numbness. If the neurological examination is clear, then it would seem to be related to psychological conflict. When people experience extreme emotional distress they can actually develop physical problems. These physical problems may not have a physical origin, but a psychological one. In fact, the symptoms you are describing are pretty consistent with what is called somatization or conversion disorder. I know that you have said several times that you are not a hypochondriac. It seems like you really want to believe that something physical is causing all of your problems. Some of my clients have developed physical complaints in response to extreme stress and conflict. If you do not have a neurological problem, then your symptoms are generated by psychological conflict of which you are not fully aware. Let me stress this...JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT THINKING ABOUT THESE PHYSICAL PROBLEMS HAPPENING, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT ORIGINATED IN YOUR MIND. I am going to suggest that you go to see a clinical psychologist...not a psychiatrist. Seek out some support and psychotherapy...this may help you reduce your physical problems. I'm sure that is your goal, so I believe this is the next step. Get a neurological exam and make an appointment to see a clinical psychologist.

If you found this answer helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated!
JR, M.A. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you