Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 07 379 Peterbilt with c15 acert with no crank no…

Customer Question
I have a 07...

I have a 07 379 Peterbilt with c15 acert with no crank no start. I have replaced starter with a remanufactured one. I also replaced all 3 batteries and relay on fire wall . Still nothing , any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial number is ***** , on model C15 is all that is legible

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I can pull start the truck and will work for a day or two then I’ll have the same problem

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/20/2022
Technician: Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician replied 2 months ago
Nich1019
Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Nick and I'll be helping you out today. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I'll be right back.

How are you doing today? Can you provide the last 6 of the VIN please?

A little frustrated with my truck, but good thanks 741897

Well hopefully I can help you figure this out!

So initially when you try to start the engine is there a click or clunk like the starter tries to turn, but it then stops? Then, if you pull start it, the engine will crank and start after you shut it down?

Just one click then nothing. A week ago I pull started it drove it about 20 miles came back home and it worked fine until yesterday. I pull start again then I turned it off but still won't crank

There are two routes to go here. There could be an electrical issue. Or you may have a very small head gasket leak and there is coolant getting on top of a piston. This will hydro-lock the engine. If that's the case a pull start will get you going and as long as the engine doesn't sit too long, or the leak doesn't get worse it will restart easily.

Well I checked coolant levels and haven't had to add any.

Ok, I would check all of the major battery cables and connections. You may want to perform voltage drop measurements across the major cables also.

It doesn't take much coolant for this the engine to hydo-lock. There is a tiny space between the pistons and the valves. If your batteries are fully charged and all connections are solid I would take a close look at that.

Took to a shop last week they checked battery cables and looked inside dashboard for rubbing or melted wires . They found nothing. I will keep an eye on coolant levels

Ok sounds good. Let me know what you find or if you're still having issues later.

Will do thank you!

You're welcome!

Was wondering if it could be hydro-locking with fuel , cus it’s been running a little rough and getting poor fuel mileage and at times I can see some black smoke while driving

Good morning. It's not likely that it's hydro-locking with fuel. If it were it would probably be knocking pretty good once you get it running. That much excessive fuel would cause a "fuel knock."

Ok thanks just wondering. I'll keep checking my coolant levels. Thanks for the response and help.

No problem!

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask! Thank you for using JustAnswer and have a great weekend!