Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

It was at an idle all of a sudden it starting making a loud…

Customer Question
It was at an...

It was at an idle all of a sudden it starting making a loud clatter noise. I shut it off immediately and after that I could grab the PTO shaft on the back and it would spin freely for a half a turn then make a clunking noise inside the case. I have split the tractor and the PTO clutch looks fine and nothing is broken in the driveline for the PTO. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

L4300DT 50569

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/14/2022
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Check the brake disc, it may be loose and is causing the noise. # 070
Is that supposed to be tight to the back of the clutch housing? There is a plate behind that which has an ear on it and that is what is clunking when it spins. It can be spun by grabbing the pto shaft and there is no resistance.

Should be bolted tight to the back of the clutch houising.

What does the spring and piston on the cast plate right behind the clutch do?

The springs are the return springs for the clutch piston. The hydraulic pressure apples the piston against the plates, and the springs retrun the piston when the pressure is released.

I believe you are talking about the piston in the clutch. I was wondering about the piston with springs in the cast housing behind the clutch. It would be on the drawing c41000 mid case. Piston #30

PTO clutch pressure regulator valve

Could that be my problem or even another could the hydraulic pump not be working and cause me to have the noise because I have no pressure and that let the pto shaft have no resistance?

Do you have dervice manaul for the tractor? You can get a download of one for a few bucks. Then you could check the pressures.

I do not!

Do a google search and se eif you can find a manaul you can afford...