Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2007 mack ctp713 mp7 engine ,,question shop guys jump the…

2007 mack ctp713 mp7...

2007 mack ctp713 mp7 engine ,,question shop guys jump the truck with 24volt jump box ,,,truck hasn't started since ,,replaced the ECM still no start

Mechanic's Assistant: How long have you had problems starting the vehicle? Do any lights still turn on?

All dash lights come on but no start

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your '24 Volt?

What does 24volts and mileage got to do with anything,,,the truck is 12volt and we are thinking the 24volts burnt something up

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the truck Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No just looking for mack mechanic that might have run into this problem

5/25/2022
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 months ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I’d like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your Mack. I know this can be frustrating. I am here to help anyway I can. Please allow me a few moments to look over your question and I will be right back with you. May I please ask with whom I have the pleasure of speaking with today?
Butch Zervakis

Nice to meet you Butch. I have a few questions on this issue, is this able to crank? Was the replacement ecm programmed to the vin on the unit?

The ECM has a starting program and one the trucks starts you take it to Mack to flash it,. Yes it turns over

Okay, this is something that we are starting to run into more and more. On these ecms, there is not a starting program in the new ecms. They are simply rom booted which does not have the injector driver information in them. This is an ongoing issue. You can order the ecm programmed to the vin which will be complete but the rom booted ones will not start the unit.

I really wish these parts departments would stop telling customers this. Volvo released a parts bulletin on this issue. Their intent was to try what Cat used to do and allow a simple run temp program but they found this would not work on these and Volvo said to cease that information. The ecm will need to either be bench programmed by the dealer or they will need the truck. Not all dealers have the bench programming capabilities.
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Well I installed a new ECM and I was under the impression that they start the truck ,,,so I guess will take one off a running truck of the same generation and I try again,,,just felt like something was shorted out,. One article I read said to replace the starter because the over run protection on the starter could be bad thanks
I understand. One other thing I would check is the fusible link and make sure that is not blown but I have seen a lot of these ecms that were shorted because of a voltage spike. If putting a good known test ecm does not start the unit please let me know