Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 Mack CV-713 that we did an overhead on and now…

I have a 2004 Mack...
I have a 2004 Mack CV-713 that we did an overhead on and now it seems like it is laboring or out of time. We have checked it a couple of times and I did cap off the oil lines to the Jake's but it's still the same. It seems to vibrate when you give it throttle??
5/12/2022
Technician: Gary A.,
 replied 6 months ago
Gary A.
Good morning and thank you for using Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Mack. It is very possible that if the valves were adjusted to tightly it could cause this issue. If it is vibrating whenever you give it throttle it may be missing on a cylinder. Does it sound like it is popping through the intake?
No popping or smoking
Technician: Gary A.,
 replied 6 months ago

Was anything else done when the overhead was done? Did the problem start occurring directly after the overhead was done?

Seems to have yes, original issue was a dead cylinder number one, pulled head and checked it and also pulled piston and didn't find anything wrong, supposedly the tech said it had zero compression on cylinder one. Tech is no longer here. I did text him and he said truck ran fine before with the exception of number one not firing.
Technician: Gary A.,
 replied 6 months ago

Have you tried narrowing the problem down to a single cylinder? maybe have an injector or two not firing.

Can you tell me what procedure you use on these motors to adjust valves?? Just seems like it's laboring does not really seem like a missSeems late
Technician: Gary A.,
 replied 6 months ago

Which engine is your truck equipped with?

Vin help?
Technician: Gary A.,
 replied 6 months ago

No. I don't have access to Mack VIN.

No disrespect but can you forward me to a Mack tech, I am a diesel tech and have Mitchell etc but need Mack experience if poss.
Technician: Gary A.,
 replied 6 months ago

I will opt. out of the question to see if another tech can help. I'm sorry I couldn't be of assistance.

Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 6 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline at 3 pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2 pm CST for the day

Your firing order is 153624... the bottom of the flywheel housing there is a pointer you have to line up with the numbered cylinder marks on the flywheel..these marks are about 30 degrees apart, there are numbered 1-6...3-4....2-5 you have to remove covers to verify where you are on camshaft...For instance, if you are lined up with 1-6 you have to look and see if valves are loose on 1 or # 6...once you have figured that out you can start on that cylinder and go in firing order..turn the engine in normal rotation, should be counter-clockwise viewed from the rear of the engine..specs are 16 thousandth intake and 24 exhaust.Jake's ARE 15 thousandths .015

I hope this helped you

Appreciate the help the issue we had was the tech put the intake bridges on the wrong way and they were hitting the rocker.

HI,

Thank you for the response.

Oh, boy, not good..........

Happy to hear the issue is solved.

Thank you sir

You are very welcome, my friend............

Wayne, don't know if I need to open another question but same truck here. Truck is missing on it seems like 3 and 4 cylinder but we only have one code in system and that is for #5 EUP frequency. This is by unplugging the EUPs one at a time to cut cylinders out.

Morning,

Yes, thatt requires a  new question opened.

Wayne, Journeyman