Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2022 mack granit tri axle truck it's the longest frame mack…

2022 mack granit tri...

2022 mack granit tri axle truck it's the longest frame mack makes with a concrete pump on it weight is approximately 49tons less than 10k miles broke front and rear axles torque arm bolts. Mack replacement. 5 days later broke both again. Need permanent fix. All other suspension parts like new no signs of wear. Can not weld to frame. Voids warranty.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?

First time was 3 weeks ago. Mack had truck for 3 days. 5 days later broke again truck towed to dealer been there 8 days . Was told there replacing parts . Pick up truck tomorrow. Then it will break again in a week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you?

This is a very heavy and long truck. Over 50 ft long almost 100,000 lbs

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.

4/29/2022
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 5 months ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I’d like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your Mack. I know this can be frustrating. I am here to help anyway I can. I have a few questions on this to help me understand everything with the truck. Was this unit up fitted at the Mack mod center or at a different body builder? Do you know how much weight is on each axle when loaded? What is the vin on this unit? Do you know if the suspension was changed at the truck modification?
Truck mod done at kcp in Vancouver Canada. Don't know axle weight. Kcp said they didn't change anything.
Does this still have the 11R22.5 rear tires?
Nothing has change from way it was delivered to usI talked to another operator of same size mack they said it's a design flaw. They welded wedge plates to frame mounts . But this new frame says welding voids warrantyI think it's too much lateral pressure on front and rear axles in tight turns. This truck is too heavy for tires to slide in tight turns
You can see the bolt has been stretched until it broke

So on this unit, I have went thru all of the Pid codes on this chassis. This rear suspension is rated at 60,000 lbs from the factory. The GVW of the truck is 80,000 lbs. One thing that is concerning to me is this unit was spec'd with 9mm frame rails. With this much weight it should have been the 11mm frame rails. This can cause torsion and flex in the rear end which the torque arms are designed to keep the axles centered and in place. When these units are turned, it causes a lot of stress in the rear end. We have had a few of these that have had similar issues at the dealer that I work for. The one way is to have your local dealer submit a tech case with the mod center. Mack has a mod center in PA that installs about every type of body and adoption available. They have an engineering team there that deals with these kinds of issues . I have had some of these where the rear suspension had to be changed, along with tires, and a few other components in order to raise the GVW of the vehicle to match the actual weight of it. We have had issues with the main brackets on the axles breaking, but that does not look like the case here. The bolts are already 10.9 hardness, and there is no kit available for one with bigger bolts. Most of these will get the Hendrickson suspension which has the super heavy duty torque arm which has the ball joint type pivot in the center above the axle. Those are the strongest ones available from Mack. The welding of the frame only voids the warranty if the defect is found to be from the heat, or alterations of the frame rail itself. The way these frames are designed in today's age, failure of the frame rail is extremely unlikely. The most common failure in that area is one of the crossmembers.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech