Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a C15 that will not start. I’ve used a little ether…

I have a C15 that...
I have a C15 that will not start. I’ve used a little ether and it starts but dies immediately due to lack of fuel. I’ve tried connecting my diagnostic equipment to it and ecm will not communicate with my laptop (CAT ET). I’ve checked pins 52/53/70 had 12.49v (70 with key on). Pins 65/67 had good ground. What could be causing this? I started and shutoff the truck multiple times yesterday with no issues.
4/11/2022
Technician: Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician replied 5 months ago
Nich1019
Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Nick and I'll be helping you out today. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I'll be right back.

Thank you nick!

No problem! How are you doing today? So this is a crank, no start correct?

Correct

This is very likely a failed ECM. Does the check engine light cycle with the key on? Do you see the mileage and hours on the dash with both the key on and key off?

No check engine light with key on or off. Odometer is not digital.

Ok. In that case you sure have a failed ECM. I can send a schematic so that you can double check your inputs, but at a glance it looks like you probably checked the correct wiring for power and ground.

We swapped out ecm with a spare. Truck started up, left idling came back few minutes later truck was off. Will crank but not start. Back to square one!

Ok, I would load test your inputs now. Use a headlight. Make sure they will light a headlight and move the harness around while testing. Can you connect to the ECM? Any ECM light on dash now?

Headlight will turn on. Wiggled harness no flickering or cutting out. Cranked the truck noticed speedometer needle jumps around while cracking…. No ecm light on… check engine light will turn on then go away and will not turn back onIf I leave the key in the on position the check engine light will turn and stay on

See if you can pull any faults now.

No active faults.After we swapped the ecm truck was running. We turned it off to check some other things… went back to turn on crank but no start. I got to fiddling with relays pulled them all and out back by in different slots.. truck turned over!!! So we decided to try the correct ecm for truck and truck is running fine!Only code that comes up randomly is
Low oil pressure warning (flash code 46)
Any idea what could’ve caused all this headache??

Maybe the ignition relay had a poor connection and it was interrupting the ignition circuit to pin 70 intermittently.

I will keep an eye out for this and I’m hoping the issue is fixed. I’m just glad the ecm turned out be good.What can you tell me about the low oil pressure (flash code 46)??It only comes on while driving & Comes on randomly and goes away [email protected],500 to1,600 rpm running 65-70mph oil psi will fluctuate to 37.5 to 39 psi. At times when it goes lower than the 38 psi the fault code doesn’t even come on… truck is due for an oil change like yesterday… can that be the issue?

Yes, that could be the issue, but I wouldn't expect that fault to come on at such a high oil pressure. Maybe the sensor is acting up and the ECM is seeing too much fluctuation. Check the sensor body for cracks and/or oil leaking through.

Thank you! I will replace sensor and get a oil change tomorrow.

No problem! And ok sounds good.

Hello nick,On the same truck we spoke about yesterday having the ecm issue. This morning went out on a job ran great no issues. Get to lease road and truck just suddenly shuts off. Will crank but no start doing the same thing it was yesterday morning.

Unfortunately you'll need to continue to diagnose the intermittent connection/issue somewhere. Is this a KW or Peterbilt?

We got the truck running by just wiggling and pulling relays again. Also disconnected ecm plug on firewall and truck started shortly after. Drove down the road and shut off againWe got the truck running by just wiggling and pulling relays again. Also disconnected ecm plug on firewall and truck started shortly after. Drove down the road and shut off again. This is a 2006 Kenworth t800

Ok. I can send a schematic if you can provide the last 6 of the VIN.

Thank you! Here it is
VIN#6J131398
Schematic: click here

No problem! Click the link above for the schematic.

Good evening, have you been able to resolve this issue?

Just let me know if you need anything else!

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask! Thank you for using JustAnswer and have a great day!

Hello
Sorry about the late response but yessir issue has been resolved. There was a broken/corroded wire in the ECM. Thank you for your help! Greatly appreciated & I will add you.

Thank you for the update! I'm glad you got it figured out!

Nich1019