Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Our truck Cascadia DD15 2015 With 890000 miles, have a code…

Good morning, our truck Cascadia...
Good morning, our truck Cascadia DD15 2015 With 890000 miles, have a code SPN 5357 FMI 16, please help.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2022
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this equipment.

SPN 5357/FMI 16 - GHG14

This diagnostic is typically Fuel Quantity High Detected.

SPN 5357/FMI 16

Description

Fuel Quantity High DetectedMonitored ParameterInjector QuantityTypical Enabling ConditionsSteady State Drive & No RegenMonitor SequenceNoneExecution FrequencyContinuous when enabling conditions metTypical Duration2 MinutesDash LampsMIL, CELEngine ReactionDerate 25%VerificationSteady Engine RPM 1400 - 1500 (2 minute)1.Connect DDDL/DDRS 7.08 or higher.2.Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF).3.Are any other fault codes present?a.Yes; repair other faults first.b.No; Go to step 4.4.Monitor the intake manifold temperature; is the intake manifold temperature reading greater than 65°C (150°F)?a.Yes; replace the intake manifold temperature sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Intake Manifold AirTemperature Sensor" .b.No; Go to step 5.5.Disconnect the intake manifold temperature sensor harness.6.Inspect the intake manifold temperature sensor harness connector for bent, spread or corroded pins.a.If pin damage is found, replace the intake manifold temperature sensor harness connector and intake manifoldtemperature sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor" .b.If no pin damage is found, Go to step 7.7.Compare intake manifold pressure to atmospheric (Baro) pressure. Is the intake manifold pressure within 0.4 psi of Baropressure?a.Yes; Go to step 8.b.No; replace the intake manifold pressure sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Intake Pressure/TemperatureSensor" .8.Monitor the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) delta P voltage (pin 109). Is the EGR delta P voltage between 0.55 and0.83 volts?a.Yes; Go to step 11.b.No; Go to step 9.9.Remove the EGR delta P sensor from the mounting pad; leave electrical harness connected. Refer to section "Removalof the Delta P Sensor" .10.Is the EGR delta P voltage between 0.55 and 0.83 volts?a.Yes; Go to step 11.b.No; replace the EGR delta P sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Delta P Sensor" .11.Visually inspect the entire EGR system for evidence of external leakage (e.g. soot, coolant deposits at joints).a.If external leakage is found, repair as necessary.b.If no external leakage is found, Go to step 12.12.Remove the EGR cooler hot pipe, EGR crossover pipe and delivery pipe and inspect for excessive build up or blockage.Refer to section "Removal of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Hot Pipe" . Refer to section "Removal of the Exhaust GasRecirculation Crossover Tube" a.If excessive build up or blockage is found, clean piping and replace the EGR cooler.For the DD13: Refer to section "Removal of the DD13 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler Water Manifold Assembly" .For the DD15 and DD16: Refer to section "Removal of the DD15 and DD16 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler" .b.If there is no excessive buildup or blockage, Go to step 13.13.Visually inspect the entire exhaust system for leaks, specifically between the turbocharger outlet and the AftertreatmentDevice (ATD) inlet for leaks or damage.a.If leaks or damage is found, repair as necessary.b.If no leaks or damage is found, Go to step 14.14.Inspect the entire air intake system (including clamps) for signs of leaks or damage.a.If damage is found, repair as necessary.b.If no damage is found, Go to step 15.15.Leak check the Charge Air Cooler (CAC); refer to OEM literature for procedure.a.If leak check fails, repair as necessary.b.If leak check passes, Go to step 16.WARNING: HOT EXHAUSTDuring parked regeneration the exhaust gases will be extremely HOT and could cause a fire if directedat combustible materials. The vehicle must be parked outside.16.Perform a High Idle Regeneration. Retain the log file and contact the Customer Support Center for further analysis anddiagnostic information. Refer to section "Performing a Parked Regeneration Using DDDL".

Run to the checks listed above as this could be a faulty differential pressure sensor or manifold sensor, as well as potential leaks within the charge air cooler and problems with the EGR system as mentioned above. You'll need to run through those checks in order to isolate and rule out each of these possibilities. 

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Daniel Wilson