Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

It's a 2013 says derate. Pulling the speed sensor and

Customer Question
It's a 2013 says...

It's a 2013 says derate. Pulling the speed sensor and driving 180 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with the sensor?

Changed all sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the model of your 2013 Volvo?

Vnl

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Can I drive it 180 miles if it's in derate if I disconnect the speed sensor?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/1/2022
Technician: Edgar.T, Forman replied 8 months ago
Edgar.T
Edgar.T, Forman
Hi my name is***** will be assisting you today. Yes if you are going into a 5mph SCR derate. Unplugging the transmission vehicle speed sensor can sometimes trick the system and slow you to drive up to 65mph.
How far is too far. Soot level shows full and my mechanic is 180 miles awayBecause the engine starts to run at a high idle when soot level is full
How far you can go cannot be measured as every truck condition is different. What can happen but Rarely does. Is we’re the filter gets to plugged with soot we’re it no longer allows the engine to breath. At that point the engine will have low power and can shut down. If it gets that severe you can remove the flex pipe bypassing the filter to keep going.
That helps alot. Just wanted to make sure my engine won't blow upWould that explain the higher idle when soot is full?
Is it trying to do a regen?Regen RPM are typically 840-900
Been working on it for 2 weeks. Changed a bunch of sensors and no luck. Soot level full before truck is finished warming up. I'm fed up. Getting I deleted
It goes from clean to full in a day?
In about 15 minutes
Kind of sound like a bad DPF DP sensor. Have you replaced it?
I've changed 3 or 4 on the canister itself
a temp sensor at the bottom,The 7th also
Rapid soot build up like your describing is caused by bad reading from the pressure sensor the one in the picture or leaks in the tubes connected to it. Another possibility can be a bad ground.Soot build up does not build up that fast. Unless you engine is just Blowing black smoke.
It's not blowing black smoke at all. Here are some more I changed
Do you have premium tech tool or jpro?
Not sure what they used.
Computer software to communicate with the truck. Without it you can’t properly diagnose it as you are unable to read sensor values to see what’s going on.
He had the software.Now he's wanting to put new filters and DEF pump. That's just too expensive
I suggest to get a second opinion. The DEF pump will not fix the rapid soot increase.
This was 2 opinions. 1 says new pump the other says new filters.
The def pump is responsible for creating def pressure. Pump pressure is 130psi. The pump can be tested.The DPF filter is responsable to hold the soot from coming out the exhaust stack. It holds it in till it gets full then the soot is burned off during the regen.The DPF DP sensor is responsible for measuring the filter restriction. If the engine is running fine and not blowing black smoke the soot level should not be increasing in 15min most likely it’s a bad reading.I recommend taking it to the dealer at the very least for the diagnostic only.
Ok. It's 180 miles. I just wanted to make sure it would make it with full soot, without hurting my engine
Not a problem. Engine will be fine.
Ok. Thank you