Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a peterbilt 379 with a fan that doesn't kick on with…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a peterbilt 379 with a fan that doesn't kick on with the override switch. I just put a new solenoid on the truck and it doesn't seem to kick on when switched. I verified the voltage to the solenoid and it is 12.5v when the switch is activated. And no voltage shown when switch is disengaged. Please let me know of this makes any sense. Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi there. How long have you been having electrical issues? Have you checked all the necessary fuses?

Yes. Fuses are all good. Wires look good with no pinch spots.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your truck?

Peterbilt(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the truck Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thats the only issue I have right now. Thank you.

11/5/2021
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. I am not available for phone calls. If the site flags for a call, you can either disregard it or your call request will be posted for other professionals who may be logged into the site at the time to accept your request offer if they choose to do so.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with his truck. All of your fuses and relays check out okay as well as the wiring within the fan circuit, you have also confirmed when powering the solenoid and disconnecting power to the solenoid that there is no change or response with the Fan engagement or disengagement, either have a faulty solenoid valve, or there is a leak within the fan hub and possibly a worn friction disk. Check for any air leaks around the fan hub. Try adapting compressed air to the fan hub itself with the engine not running. Check for leaks within the fan hub as it's not uncommon for them needing a rebuild kit. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Daniel Wilson