Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Is this live? I have an 2014 M2 freightliner that’s having…

Hi is this live? ...

Hi is this live?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi there. How can I help?

I have an 2014 M2 freightliner that’s having an unusual problem. The truck seems to surge or pulse at times, it doesn’t loss power while this is happening which has my mechanic confused. He doesn’t think it’s a fuel issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your 2014 truck?

M2 freightliner

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Dont think so

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
10/27/2021
Technician: BrentR718, Technician replied 1 year ago
BrentR718
BrentR718, Technician

Hello my name is***** you will share your vin number with me I will look up the specifics of your truck and the symptom you are having.  However, in the mean time in my opinion it sounds like the Quantity Control Valve is malfunctioning. This valve is responsible for maintaining the correct fuel quantity at all times. when it malfunctions it will cause the surge/pulse symptom that you are describing. The Quantity Control Valve is located on the left side of the engine near the rear.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi thanks for answering me. I don't have the truck with me right now. I will be able to get it tomorrow. I'm not sure how your service works, if I'm able to get it to you tomorrow?

Just log back in tomorrow and post the information to this message board. when I see I will get the information sent over to you. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. Would this not show a code is it was the quantity control valve. For some reason it's not tripping a code and that's what's making it so hard for the mechanicIf

The quatity control valve will get weak and cause the symptom but not produce a fault code.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'll let them know that snd get the Vin number today
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There saying they've never heard of a quantity control valve. Could it be called something else aswell?

What engine is in the truck? When they get you the VIN send it over and I will dig into the symptoms.

BrentR718
BrentR718, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the ISB CumminsCan I text it to you?3ALACXDUOEDFM9477

I, unfortunately, cannot locate the symptom you are describing in the Cummins engine database. the Cummins engine doesn't have a quantity control valve. the description in the initial post of the year and brand of truck led me to think that it may have a DD13 Detroit engine it. However once I got the VIN number the engine type was solved. I have looked thoroughly through the symp***** *****st and nothing lines up with the description given.

My suggestion is to connect Cummins Insite diagnostic tool to the engine and go for a drive. While on the drive have the diagnostic computer record all engine data. When the symptom occurs take a look at the recorded data and that will help you solve the issue. The other option is to continue driving until the problem gets much worse and finally sets a code.