Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 99 freightliner fl60 with a cat 3126 with huei

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 freightliner fl60 with a cat 3126 with huei injection system and I accidentally knocked a 10amp fuse out of the fuse panel in the cab on the passenger side while the truck was running.. once fuse was knocked out the truck shut off.. I reached down and put fuse back in to where I thought it went and the truck will no longer start.. I tried several other spots and still the truck will not start.. I have no kind of computer to hook to the truck or anything like that... Truck will run on ether.. I primed the manual fuel primer pump on the primary fuel filter and still the truck will not start..

Mechanic's Assistant: How long have you had trouble starting the vehicle? Do any lights come on?

I didn't have any issues with the vehicle until I knocked that fuse out and I have no idea what the fuse goes to because I have no fuse box diagram. When trying to start the truck the check engine light does come on along with the glow plug light. It does build oil pressure according to the guage on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your '99 truck?

99 freightliner fl60 with 3126 cat

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the truck Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/26/2021
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this truck. Check between the battery box and your ECM for any in-line fuse holders and a blown in-line fuse. Verify power and ground to your ECM both constant battery power and  switched power. Verify that your check engine light comes on at key on to confirm that the ECM is powering up and communicating. Also plug-in with a scan tool if you can gain access to one to verify whether or not you can communicate with the ECM.Use a voltage tester to probe the top two metal tabs of each fuse with the ignition switch on while replacing any fuse with power only on one side. Try any other empty fuse locations as well. It is very possible that this could have caused shorts or problems with other circuits but also potential damage within the fuse holder, or if there might be some damage from the pressure of the foot across the fuse panel. There is always a possibility this could have caused a short and other areas. This is what's going to determine If it is a power supply or ground related issue, or if there might've been an electrical short or arc that occurred causing damage to the ECM. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.