Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My 08 freightliner m2 keeps losing power randomly while

My 08 freightliner m2...

My 08 freightliner m2 keeps losing power randomly while driving. The motor will bog down for a few seconds or longer then come back to life. It blows black smoke when it occurs. It started happening more frequently then the engine protect light came on and it shut down. Now it won’t start at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Freightliner M2 business class

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

1fvhcybs48hy84999

9/9/2021
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 1 year ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hi I’m Mike and I am a technician here on Just Answer and I hope you are having a great day, and will do my very best to get you back up and running as soon as possible and will answer any questions you may have . You will be prompted to accept a phone service, I personally do not offer this but you are welcome to take this and I or another technician will call . I am sorry that you are having issues and I know that this can be frustrating. Please understand that I am here to help. I have scattered availability during the day in the week but I am available most weekends. I am a user of this site just like you and use it on my spare time away from work and family to help people like yourself out. Please allow me a moment to look over your question and I will be right back with you. Thanks,

On your issue, I would have this unit scanned for any fault codes to see if any component is throwing a fault. Next I would perform a full sensor/parameter readout to see if there are any sensors reading biased or incorrectly. If that is fine, I would run the egr and turbo test to see if one of them are hanging up. The turbo drives the egr system and if any of them can not adjust it will cause the unit to over or under fuel the engine which will result in a drop in power and increase in smoke in the engine. If the engine protection lamp came on there is a system that is reading way out of range. Having the above information would be a great help in helping to narrow down the issue causing the issue.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I'll get right on it