Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a problem with my 2015 freightliner cascadia

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a problem with my 2015 freightliner cascadia evolution dd15. I don't have any problem shifting gears from my low gears but once I go to my high gears especially on my 7 gears and up I lose power like a misfire in the beginning and then it picks up power. I have three fault codes. 3058/9 and 3226/3/4 and 3238/2. I believe this happened right after a motor wash at the Blue Beacon. Please help. I also have the diagnostic link 8

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi there. Does the vehicle misfire while idling or driving?

Driving. Only going into a high gear for 2 seconds than it acts normally

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your 2015 freightliner?

Cascadia

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the freightliner Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No I don't think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/1/2021
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this truck. These codes are indicating EGR circuit problems and Nox Aftertreatment system system problems. Run through the procedures below in order to isolate the problem. Definitely check for possible software related concerns requiring updates.

SPN 3058/FMI 9 - GHG14

This diagnostic is typically Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Actuator Slow Response.

This code sets when the actual EGR flow vs desired EGR flow is greater than a calibrated threshold during deceleration.

SPN 3058/FMI 9

Description Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve actuator slow response

Monitored Parameter EGR Delta P sensor

Typical Enabling Conditions High engine to low engine load

Monitor Sequence 1 second after deceleration load, actual EGR flow vs. the desired

EGR flow is greater than a calibrated threshold

Execution Frequency Always Enabled

Typical Duration 5 Seconds

Dash Lamps MIL, CEL

Engine Reaction None

Verification Road test with a trailer while performing multiple decelerations

Check as follows:

1.

Connect DiagnosticLink™.

2.

Turn the ignition ON (key ON, ignition OFF). Go to step 3.

3.

Check for multiple codes. Are any of the following codes present?

• SPN 411/FMI 0, 1, 3, 4, or 13

• SPN 1636/FMI 3, 4, or 20

• SPN 2630/FMI 2, 3, 4, 16, 20, or 21

• SPN 2791/FMI 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 31

• SPN 3563/FMI 3, 4, or 20

• SPN 2659/FMI 0 or 18

a.

Yes; diagnose the other fault codes first.

b.

No; Go to step 4.

4.

Check the Motor Control Module (MCM) software level. Compare the current MCM software level to the server. Is the

MCM software at the latest level?

a.

Yes; Go to step 5.

b.

No; update the MCM software level and perform the verification procedure in the table above. If the fault code

does not return, release the vehicle. If the fault code returns, Go to step 5.

5.

Check the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) zone, parameter AS065. Is the DPF zone greater than zero?

a.

Yes; perform a parked regeneration and perform the verification procedure in the table above. If the fault code

does not return, release the vehicle. If the fault code returns, Go to step 6.

b.

No; Go to step 6.

6.

Using DiagnosticLink, monitor the EGR Delta P sensor voltage. Is the EGR Delta P sensor voltage within 0.55 to 0.83

volts?

a.

Yes; Go to step 13.

b.

No; Go to step 7.

7.

Turn the ignition OFF. Go to step 8.

8.

Remove the EGR Delta P sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Delta P Sensor". Go to step 9.

9.

Inspect the EGR Delta P sensor connectors for damaged pins, corrosion or fretting. Are there any damaged pins,

corrosion or fretting present?

a.

Yes; replace the EGR Delta P sensor and pigtail. Refer to section "Removal of the Delta P Sensor". Verify repair.

b.

No; Go to step 10.

10.

Reconnect the EGR Delta P sensor with the EGR Delta P sensor removed. Go to step 11.

2 SPN 3058/FMI 9 - GHG14

4 All information subject to change without notice.

Copyright © 2014 DETROIT DIESEL CORPORATION 4 10-14

11.

Turn the ignition ON (key ON, engine OFF). Go to step 12.

12.

Monitor the EGR Delta P sensor voltage again. Is the EGR Delta P sensor voltage between 0.55 and 0.83 volts?

a.

Yes; Go to step 13.

b.

No; replace the EGR Delta P sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Delta P Sensor". Verify repair.

13.

Remove the EGR Delta P sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the Delta P Sensor". Go to step 14.

14.

Inspect the EGR Delta P sensor. Are the ports of the EGR Delta P sensor restricted?

a.

Yes; replace the EGR Delta P sensor. Refer to section "Installation of the Intake Pressure/Temperature Sensor".

Verify repair.

b.

No; Go to step 15.

15.

Inspect the venturi ports. Are the venturi ports restricted?

a.

Yes; clean the venturi ports. Refer to Technical Service letter 14 TS-2 and reinstall the EGR Delta P sensor.

Verify repair.

b.

No; Go to step 16.

16.

Inspect the EGR system for leaks. Are there any signs of soot or carbon?

a.

Yes; repair the exhaust leaks. Verify repair.

b.

No; Go to step 17.

17.

Remove and inspect the EGR hot pipe, EGR crossover tube and EGR mixer pipe.

Refer to section "Removal of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Hot Pipe".

Refer to section "Removal of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Crossover Tube".

Refer to section "Removal of the Mixer Pipe".

Are there any restrictions present?

a.

Yes; clean the EGR system.

• For DD13, Refer to section "Cleaning of the DD13 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System". Verify repair.

• For DD15 TC and DD16 TC, Refer to section "Cleaning of the Turbo Compound DD15 and DD16 Exhaust

Gas Recirculation Systems". Verify repair.

• For DD15 AT, Refer to section "Cleaning of the GHG14 DD15 Asymmetrical Turbocharger Exhaust Gas

Recirculation System". Verify repair.

b.

No; Go to step 18.

18.

Inspect the EGR valve for physical damage. Replace as necessary.

• For DD13, Refer to section "Removal of the Exhaust Manifold". Verify repair.

• For DD15 TC and DD16, Refer to section "Removal of the DD15 and DD16 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve".

Verify repair.

• For DD15 AT, Refer to section "Removal of the GHG14 DD15 AT Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve/Hot Pipe".

Verify repair.

SPN 3238/FMI 2 - GHG14

Selective Catalyst Reduction Outlet NOx Sensor Failure to Activate

Show/Hide Checkboxes

ENGINE EXHAUST

To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.

PERSONAL INJURY

To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.

HOT EXHAUST

During parked regeneration the exhaust gases will be extremely HOT and could cause a fire if directed at combustible materials. The vehicle must be parked outside.

Connect DiagnosticLink® .

Is SPN 5357 FMI 16 or 18 also present?

Yes; repair those fault codes first.

No; Go to step 3.

Monitor (chart) the following parameters.

ASL102 engine speed

AS018 Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) inlet temperature

AS019 SCR outlet temperature

AS035 SCR inlet NOx sensor

AS036 SCR outlet NOx sensor

AS101 NOx conversion efficiency

Start the engine and perform a parked regeneration. Does the NOx conversion efficiency rise above 70% (0.70) during the regeneration?

Yes; clear faults and release vehicle.

No; replace the SCR outlet NOx sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the EPA10 Selective Catalyst Reduction Outlet NOx Sensor" .

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is the same thing my software is telling me to do and still getting the same code. My thing was should I replace the EGR actuator or the nox outlet sensor first
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

What does the flow chart lead you to? That is what you do in order. It is also always good to start with the least expensive first as well but run through the troubleshooting flowchart not skipping any steps to see where it leads you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I didn't know anything about the flowchart I'm going to check that out
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Sounds like a plan.