Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a Volvo Vin *****************. The unit has a Bendix…

Hello, I have a Volvo...
Hello, I have a Volvo Vin *****************. The unit has a
Bendix abs code 12-7 for PMV valve shorted to ground. I went in to Bendix and i commanded al 4 pmv valves. They are all clicking and sound the same. Can they "work" and still be shorted to ground?
9/1/2021
Technician: Joe Green, Trainer and Tech replied 1 year ago
Joe Green
Joe Green, Trainer and Tech

Hi, My name is***** will be happy to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this vehicle. It's possible for them to be drawing too much current due to lowered resistance on a failing valve causing the short to ground code. A couple of things you can try, disconnect each of the PMVs and see if it sets an open circuit code for the same circuit, also you can check resistance across each of them to verify they are within similar range. Bendix doesn't show a published resistance, but I believe they should be in the 2-6ohm range.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went through all of the pins for ohms. All 4 pmv's and their wiring have similar ohms. Nothing stands out as different.
Okay, we may be looking at a wiring or a module issue. Here are the steps Bendix gives 1) Remove the X1, X2, X3 and X4 connectors from the ECU.
2) Using X1‐1 as the ground connection, check for resistance for the entire X2 connector. There should be no resistance to ground found. Please fill out worksheet on this page.
3) Using X1‐1 as the ground connection, check for resistance for X1‐4 and X1‐5. There should be no resistance to ground.
4) Using X1‐1 as the ground connection, check for resistance for X3‐4, X3‐6, X3‐7, X3‐9, X3‐10, X3‐13, X3‐3 and X3‐5. There should be no resistance to ground. (Even if the vehicle is not configured for 6S/6M).
5) Using X1‐1 as the ground connection, check for resistance for X4‐6, X4‐9 and X4‐12. There should be no resistance to ground.
6) Troubleshoot any pin that has resistance to ground. If no issues are found continue to step 7.
7) Reconnect the X1 connector only and apply IGN power to the ECU and using the DTC screen of Bendix® ACom® Diagnostic Software, clear all DTCs. Re‐check for any DTCs. If the 12‐7 DTC is still present, the problem is the Traction Solenoid Wiring or Solenoid.
8) If the 12‐7 DTC does not reappear, remove power and connect the X2 connector, reapply power, then clear all DTCs. If the 12‐7 DTC is no longer present, connect the X3 connector and clear all DTCs.
9) If at this point the 12‐7 DTC is not present, the problem is with the X4 connector.
Joe Green
Joe Green, Trainer and Tech