Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

05 Mack cv 713 will crank but won’t start. They are working.

05 Mack cv 713...

05 Mack cv 713 will crank but won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? Are the spark plugs, fuel pump, and ignition all working?

Yes. They are working

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

05 Mack cv 713

8/26/2021
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this truck and I see that you have been waiting some time for some advice on this. Please ignore the BOT's questions about a gasoline engine problem as we both know this is a diesel engine and does not have spark plugs or an electronic ignition on a diesel. Check for any fuel leaks or restrictions between the fuel tank and your fuel pump. Also check for contamination of fuel by emptying your existing fuel filters into a clear container. Scan for fault codes so those fault codes can be investigated and resolved individually.If this all checks out okay, verify engine speed sensor signal. A loss of speed sensor signal could cause a crank no start as well as a loss of power or ground to the engine ECU, or a faulty ECU. Have a scan tool connected in order to verify communication with ECU. Check between the battery box and your ECU for any blown in line fuses or disconnected wiring that would contribute to a loss of power or ground.Be sure to check all fuses and relays. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Daniel Wilson
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was running great the day before yesterday. I went yesterday to start it, and it started, ran for about 3 seconds, and shut off. Like you turned the ignition off. No spit. No sputter, like it ran out of fuel. Just died. I’ve checked fuel system. All clean. And seems to be working properly. I’ve checked fuses and relays (that i know of) theyre good. I took the ECU off of a running truck and put it on this one. No change. I check the connectors on the ECU for power. I don’t know which pins are supposed to be power and ground for the ECU. But i do have power and ground on the ECU. Maybe you could tell me which pins are hot And ground? Any help would be appreciated.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

This sounds more like a possible loss of engines need sensor signal. Try the existing ECU on the other truck confirm it will start the other truck. If the wiring harness checks out okay, I would suspect that the problem is likely a loss of engine speed sensor signal to the ECU. The ECU would not know that the engine is cranking over in order to fire the injectors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. I’ll stick the ECU on the other truck to see if it will run it.I just stuck my ECU off of the problem truck, onto another truck, and it fired right off. So my ECU IS GOOD.I scanned the truck also, and the only active code i get is oil temp sensor. Would oil temp sensor keep the truck from running? Where is the oil temp sensor located?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay great. You have confirmed good fuel supply to the engine, I would look into speed sensor signal,

If your scan tool will read a live datastream, monitor Rpm signal while cranking the engine over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you talking about the crank sensor, located on the drivers side of the flywheel housing?Also, when i started it with starting fluid, the rpms would go up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still haven’t got this Mack running
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Click on this link for the troubleshooting procedures for a crank no start. You will need the V MAC diagnostic software to perform all tests.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imqh0ffbqcmhduy/Mack%20crank%20no%20start%20bulletin.pdf?dl=0