Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We received fault code spn 1321 fmi 14. we are at the

We received fault code...

We received fault code spn 1321 fmi 14. we are at the facility to deliver a load that is due at 6 am tomorrow morning and need assistance getting the truck started. please help

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It's a 2017 Peterbilt tractor trailer. i don't have a serial number.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Just that the truck won't start.

8/19/2021
Technician: Andrew G., Heavy Truck Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Andrew G.
Andrew G., Heavy Truck Mechanic

Hi, my name is*****'m sorry about your problem. I can imagine this is quite urgent issue with your load due at 6 am. I'll do my best to help.

The truck last six of the vin number would help to find exact issue. However seems like you have a problem with the starter enable relay that functions as a protection from unintentional cranking when conditions are not met. This Relay is controlled by transmission TCU. When TCU confirms the three conditions:

1. Shifter is in neutral

2. Transmission is confirmed to be physically in neutral

3. Engine is not running

then it energizes this relay to provide path for the key signal to the starter relay. If there is some problem with this relay or the circuit energizing it, the starter will not crank.

Finding exact problem might take some time, but if you can ensure that the shifter is in neutral position and the transmission is in neutral then we can attempt to jump the starter to get you going and get it repaired later.

Please at least tell me what is the model of the Peterbilt and what engine is in it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2017 peterbilt 379, paccar mx13 engine

Thank you. Any chance on the last six of the vin number? In 2017 there was no 379 anymore.

It probably is 389. Vin would be best to confirm what we are dealing with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my apologies. it's a 579. entered a 3 instead of 5. the last 6 of VIN are 409038

Thanks. I will do some research. Meanwhile can you please disconnect batteries for about 1 minute, reconnect and see if you can start the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

OK, so this is a manual transmission, correct?

OK, Just a second.

Please open the fuse panel door at the driver's side by the clutch pedal. In the right very bottom right corner you will see the "starter interrupt relay". Pull it out and replace it just for the sake of trying with the one that you have for marker lights. See if it starts.

The marker light relay will be labeled "park lamp relay" on the door sticker.

Or better yet the "mirror heat relay" if it is the same size as the starter interrupt relay.

Any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sent info to driver. Haven't received a response yet.

I see. Let him also check the fuse P13. It might be a breaker type, in that case he will not be able to tell if it is good or not. Let him just replace it with the spare fuse of proper amp rating that is on the label.

Please keep me posted as I am glued to the computer trying to help you guys as I know it is somewhat urgent issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Per driver after letting sit for a while he was able to get started. Didn't try this method but will consider if it happens again.Thanks for your help

It seems as there is a problem with the relay or the breaker/fuse. I recommend to change the relay in question and the fuse P13. I'm glad his back on his route.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment and leave your feedback/star rating. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

Good luck.

Andrew G.
Andrew G., Heavy Truck Mechanic