Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I turn the key on everything is normal then trun key more to…

Customer Question
I turn the key...

I turn the key on everything is normal then trun key more to start and nothing happens

Mechanic's Assistant: Does this happen when the vehicle is in park or neutral? Do you know if it has a "wheel lock" feature?

Its in neutral and should crank but nothing happens

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

2012 cxu 613 Mack

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No its all pretty straight forward

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/31/2021
Technician: Edgar.T, Forman replied 1 year ago
Edgar.T
Edgar.T, Forman
What kind of transmission do you have?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AutomaticMack mDrive
Mdrive correct? And you are getting neutral.
Ok. Let’s try jumping the starter solenoid and see if it starts. This is a quick test to see if the starter is good.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's good I did that this morning
Hook up a multimeter to the small leads on the stater solenoid and crank the engine. It’s a 12v signal. You may need to check the wires one at a time to find out if your missing the ground or power.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One has 13 volts with key off and nothing changes when you try to start engineWhen it wouldn't start yesterday I changed the starter
If you put your leads to the starter small wires and crank it what is your voltage?Reading must be taken with the key in the crank position
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't change 13v on one nothing on the otherThere is two other small posts where the engine wiring harness hooks to and they are Zero volts
the smallest wires from the engine harness are your power and ground signal to crank. I believe there like 10mm nuts on the. The other two wire that are covered with a boot one is constant battery voltage. The ones we are checking are the engine harness side. Ok so you have 0v on the engine harness. Need to isolate if you are missing your ground signal or voltage. So you need to check the circuit one at a time. So for example To check the voltage side put one lead on the positive side and the other on a known good ground. And crank it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's what I did
Ok so you have verified you are getting a good ground signal to the starter. But not the voltage. Let me pull up a schematic. Is the no crank after repairs were done or it just happened?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Truck was good when it was parked the next morning you can turn the key on everything comes on like normal but when you turn further to crank nothing happens
Check relay RLY36This is the fuse panel by your feet on the driver side. The relay is directional it can be installed backwards and it will work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok sorry I had a miscommunication with my man helping me there is 3v on both of those wires with the key on and when in start position the top one holds 3 and the bottom one goes to 0v ,,,, I'm going to try the relay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried the ignition relay it can only be installed one way but still doesn't work
Do you have voltage to pin 30 on the relay? It is feed from fuse f7 from the fuse box in the center of the dash
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I locate pin 30
Look on the relay the pins are numbered. Then match the location to the fuse box. Be careful not to spread the pin on the fuse box as this will create another problem. Use an appropriate size test terminal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pin 30 has 0v
It gets power from fuse f7 on the center dash panel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have power at f7
Looks like you have an open from the fuse to the relay. If the fuse is good the relay should be getting voltage.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok open means a broke wire or bad connection between f7 and relay ?
Correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks a lot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks I will get back on it in the morning Thank you very muchCould you possibly send me any kind of a diagram of this
I did. Is it not coming up for you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could you please send me some kinda picture showing where pin 66 on the pass thru 128 pin connector mine has no numbers on anything i can find