Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2005 volvo vnl 780, volvo ved12 ,manual 13 speed…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 volvo vnl 780 , volvo ved12 ,manual 13 speed transd transm

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the model of your '13 Volvo?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your '13 Volvo?

1million

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

When I turn on the engine, my wipers , headlights and hvac controls do not function for about 5 minutes, after that everything starts working fine

7/19/2021
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 1 year ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hi I’m Mike and I am a technician here on Just Answer and I hope you are having a great day, and will do my very best to get you back up and running as soon as possible and will answer any questions you may have . You will be prompted to accept a phone service, I personally do not offer this but you are welcome to take this and I or another technician will call . I am sorry that you are having issues and I know that this can be frustrating. Please understand that I am here to help. I have scattered availability during the day in the week but I am available most weekends. I am a user of this site just like you and use it on my spare time away from work and family to help people like yourself out. Please allow me a moment to look over your question and I will be right back with you. Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank youI can't do phone service because I m away from my truck,but if you have some advice, I ll check tomorrow on what you can tell me today

On your complaint, This sounds like you have a battery protection issue. I would check the battery connections and load test them to make sure they are not dropping below the threshold. Then in the fuse panel in the dash there will be a yellow label relay that is taller than the other ones. The next time you are going to start the unit, Pull that relay and stick it back in and see if everything comes online. If it does then I would replace the relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** new 1 month , I tried the yellow relay and it wasn't it.
If I put the ignition key to on, everything works, only after I start the engine wipers headlights and hvac doesn't work sometimes for few minutes , sometimes for more time. I checked all the relays in the power distribution panel, everything in order

The other items I have seen cause this are the bunk control module, or an issue with the wiring under the drivers side carpet. The bunk control module actually controls that relay and monitors battery voltage. I would also check the main cab power and ground studs on the inside and outside of the cab and the cab pass thru connector as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will check grab the bunk control from a junk unit and try to replace and see if it solves the problem.
I checked the wires under the carpet when looking for a j1939 error, but everything looks in order there.
The main power are those located behind the clutch pedal or wich ones?Thank you for your help so far

Those are the 2-4 gauge wires that go right to the stud on the plastic portion of the cab pass thru. Right below the main chassis connector on the firewall.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** check soon

My pleasure, Have a good day

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech