Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Second Opinion] 2012 vovlo Spn 4094 fault cade Also had a…

Customer Question
For Mike Mcmillan [Second Opinion]...
For Mike Mcmillan [Second Opinion] 2012 vovlo Spn 4094 fault cade Also had a def doser valve codes and i replaced it Just cleaned all filters...parked regen did twice all temratures going up...outlet nox reading ok but code is not clearing
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only thing i did not do was replaced def fluidAfter 2 regens also replaced def fluid and did another regen still does not clear
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But dont think its cracked enough to leak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the truck came i scaned i had active codes
Spn 4094 fmi 18
Spn 5246 fmi 0
Spn 5394 fmi 17Doser valve was plugged so i replaced a new doser valve also drain and put new def but i did 3 regens total but 1 regen after replacing def fluid...i did 2 regens after replacing doser and also i got dpf filter cleanedAfter the 2 regens the code still did not clear so i also drained and put new def and did one more regenOutlet Nox during regen is reading 510Aften regen under 300Only 4094 codes is not clearing otber codes clearedAlso sending snap shot of some inactive fault
Codes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plz go through the pictures i see some inactive doc and turbo vgt codesSorry for a sending many messages but trying to give u as much info as i canI did not run egr or turbo test
Answered in 3 days by:
5/15/2021
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 1 year ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer.I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. I will do my best to help you resolve them. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem.

My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thx waiting

On your question, I would check the concentration of the def fluid and make sure it is pure. I would make sure the engine ecm and acm software is updated to the latest calibration. Make sure there is no hardened def in the decomp tube. Make sure that the dpf is not passing any soot at all. The outlet nox will read 510 when it is starting to read. They must get to a certain temp before they start broadcasting data. If the outlet nox is only getting just under 300 that is why the fault is not clearing. The outlet nox will need to be much lower. The ecm must see the outlet nox drop in order to remove the 4094 fault code. If the outlet nox is for sure good and the def doser is working, then you have a failed scr cat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The code is not clearingAfter the regen on idle the nox is reading around 160The def doser was plugged badlyI put new def doserCleaned all filtersPut new turboEngine side is all goodEven def side is all goodBut the code stays active and on dash getting message checking def quality derated and 8km/hr removedOriginally i had nox efficiency code and def doser codeDef doser code most likely was due to doser being pluggedU out new def doser and cleared the codesI

The outlet nox reading of 160 is still way to high. The fault will not clear until the outlet nox gets within an acceptable limit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why is it high

That is way above spec. That is why the fault will not clear

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the limitIs it not under 300 considered good

No, 300 is considered saturated. Your reading needs to be in the double digits. Most of the time with a healthy system it is in the lower double digits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was 160 on idle right after regenCould it take a bit to come downWhile u drive down the road

Once a regen is completed you should hold the throttle down for about 15-20 seconds to wide open and then let it idle and monitor the reading at this point as this is the most stable time to read it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could not get. A reply from u so freind of mine told me to let the truck go on a run with a loaf and come back and trumy to clearI dont know if that is true

The verification can be done directly sitting still from the instructions listed above. If the nox levels can not be met sitting still after a regen they will not be met going down the road

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What can cause itwhat the difference betwen nox under 300 and single digitJust trying to understand when it hadls to be under 300 is acceptabe and when lower double digit is acceotable

The engine producing too much nox, The DPF passing soot. software issues,  Not enough def being dosed into the system to treat the exhaust, Bad def, or a bad scr cat

The nox reading is all in ppm which is parts per millions. There is an acceptable level that must be met in order for the fault code to go away

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was under impression that under 300 is good

Where was that information from regarding the 300?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Every thing is good from engine sode to def dosing sideDpf filter got it cleaned and and no cracks on itCould the nox sensor be badalso i am not 100
Peecent abt the nox reading after regen after full throttleIs there a possibility that if readins are good the truck stills need to drive and code will
Clear

It is possible on the nox sensor but usually they will read real erratic if they are bad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K sir

Based on the nox levels you are getting the fault will not clear until they are within the acceptable limits

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it u think its a bad catI even did doser tests in a bottle and all readins are good

It sounds like it from all that you have listed here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the truck on the highway nox should be readind double digitIn our previous coversations u told me nox should be reading under 300 maybe i miss understood

No, it doesn’t work like that while driving. While driving you have to monitor all parameters and graph them all out and compare to known good ones to watch the nox curves to determine if it’s acceptable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I read one of ur conversations online with someone regarding same code and he was recommended to drive on load 4 hours to try and clear code

There are some circumstances that you will have to. Depending on diag equipment, progressive damage, ect. The fault may be the same but the contributions to the fault are different

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K so in my case it should have cleared after regen

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did not only the doser code cleareddo u think need programming or new cat

I would make sure the software is up to date. Then run the regen again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did another regen and checked outlet nox reading after full throttleIts was around 80Is that high still

It looks like the question may have timed out. 80 is within the higher side of the limit. Just with the higher readings you were getting before it still seems like the scr may be malfunctioning.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok sir the reading ahould be around 50
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also noticed def cystal build up around outlet nox does that mean its leaking through scr

Or it can mean the system is over treating the ex

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What causes that

Bad scr cat, nox sensors, doser, or engine producing too much nox

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put a brand new doser and it was plugged again...i cleaned and did a regen and this time the nox reading came 24Is that fine

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I accidentally ran doser test with doser on and it sprayed inside the tubeCould that have plugged the new doser

It is possible

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K sir
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Mike the nox reading on park regen was good aroun 20The truck went on roadGot back
Fault codes
Spn 5394 fmi 17
Spn 5246 fmi 0
Spn 4094 fmi 18Every time he shifts or goes uphill there is some scremaing noice comingWe cleaned all
Filters replaced
Both def and dpf doser...replaced
Turbo and cleaned ehr cooler until nowAlso exhaust smell coming in the cab