Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

It keeps stalling, it's an automatic 2009, D13, I shift

Customer Question
It keeps stalling, it's...

It keeps stalling, it's an automatic 2009, D13, I shift transmission. We have had it looked at 4 different times but if driven more than a few consistent hours it starts to act like it's not in gear. It will stay running but doesn't "go". It won't rev either. Sometimes it will take back off and sometimes it will refuse to go till its sat for several hours. We also just noticed the floor board on the passenger side is very hot.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the Volvo? Is it the original transmission?

Over a million, it was just serviced, has a new computer on the side of the transmission and new wiring harness going to it. I've driven it 40 miles 3 days per week (we use it to haul horses to the arena) for the last 7 months with never a missed gear. Don't know about how old the transmission is.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Volvo?

Vnl 780

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volvo 780 yourself? What have you tried so far?

4 different TEC Equipment places have looked at it in the past 4 years, each saying they have fixed it, only to have it stall again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/25/2021
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having all these troubles with this truck. Intermittent problems are some of the most difficult problems to find because all test results will come back normal and less the test is completed when the symptoms are present. Be sure to test all of your batteries with a digital battery tester for bad cells or other internal problems. Verify that they will pass a load test and are functioning within their rated capacity. Inspect all cables and connections between your batteries and your starter assembly any type of corrosion or damage, including all grounds. Check for fault code history with your engine and transmission control modules, as well as your chassis modules. Thoroughly inspect the wiring harness and connector pins for any type of corrosion or damage between your control modules. If all of this checks out okay, further tried to do a wiggle test on the wiring harness to see if you can manipulate the wiring harness a particular way in order to duplicate the symptoms that would further confirm a problem within the wiring. If there is still no problem, have all of the controller software reprogrammed and updated with the most current calibrations of software in order to reset everything back to factory settings with the most current updates.See if there are any fault codes logged within any of the controllers and troubleshoot any historical fault codes individually. Check your charging system amperage and voltage as well. Be sure to check all fuses and relays that would potentially flag electrical shorts or other problems within the electrical system on this truck. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.