Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2/5/2021
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.I want to start by saying that the website policy is that you cover one subject matter or problem per question thread. This post is requesting three different things rather than one. I also want to let you know that these fault codes that you have are still within the EPA 10 guidelines as far as the potential causes and what to check. You would check all of these things in order listed of the potential causes that I have provided below. An experienced technician would use this as a guide. There is no manual that is going to tell you how to inspect the wiring harness for any type of corrosion or obvious damage. You would perform a visual check of the wiring in that circuit and connector pins. If no damages found, you can then use a digital multimeter or ohmmeter to further confirm that there are no open circuits or shorts within the wiring harness. This comes from experience and not any shop manual.If the wiring checks out okay, you would replace the sensor as far as your first fault code. If for any reason that the problem still exists, you have now ruled out two of the three potential causes. That only leaves the third option. On your last fault code, you would inspect the fuel lines for any leaks or restrictions. If this checks okay,you would move on to inspecting the doser or for any restrictions or contamination that would cause it to malfunction. Finally, a faulty doser module in need of replacement would be the cause once you have ruled out the other possibilities.

ECM SPN 3363, Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Tank Heater – MID 128 PSID 75

Type of fault: FMI Description: Fault Condition: Possible Symptoms:

FMI 2 • Data erratic, intermittent or incorrect • Commanded valve position is not plausible • N/A

Possible Cause:

• Faulty harness or connectors • Aftertreatment DEF tank temperature sensor • Aftertreatment DEF tank heating valve.

ECM SPN 5443, Aftertreatment 1 Hydrocarbon Dosing System – MID 128 PPID 329

FMI 7 • Mechanical system not responding properly • Regeneration not possible

Possible Cause:

Fuel line(s) • Obstructed/dirty aftertreatment hydrocarbon doser • Aftertreatment Hydrocarbon Dosing Module

I hope this gives you clarification and you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand, Volvo manual has an actual troubleshooting flow charts with pin listings and resistance values for sensors and the heater. If you’re not able to provide that specific info on a PDF format then allow a different expert that has the appropriate resources to answer.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Grab the complete engine model and serial number off of the engine ID tag. You are missing a letter at the end of your model information. Also, your second code is mechanical components so it is a visual inspection, not an electrical test procedure. Grab me the engine tag information and I will check my files for you on the first code.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you use the complete vin number?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Is there a reason you can not get the engine tag info?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

I am looking at the 2013 manual and it confirms that the paper or PDF troubleshooting is not available. It is in the diagnostic program "Techtool" software now. This is why you will not find that in a PDF. Use your tech tool diagnostic software.

Troubleshooting Engine Control Module (ECM) Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

The manufacturer scan tool is the preferred tool for performing diagnostic work. Contact your local dealer for more information or visit “www.premiumtechtool.com”.

Note: The use of a scan tool is necessary to perform diagnostic work as well as clearing of any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). DTC(s) can no longer be cleared using the vehicles instrument cluster digital display and stalk switch control.

System Overview

Multiple electronic control units (ECUs) are used; the engine control module (ECM), instrument control module (ICM), Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU), transmission control module (TCM), the gear selector control module (GSCM) and the aftertreatment control module (ACM). Together, these modules operate and communicate data link to control a variety of engine and vehicle cab functions. The ECM controls a variety of functions related to operation of the engine. The ECM works in conjunction with the ACM to control the EATS system and reduce emissions.. The VECU controls cruise control functions, accessory relay controls and idle shutdown functions. In addition to their control functions, the modules have on board diagnostic (OBD) capabilities. The OBD is designed to detect faults or abnormal conditions that are not within normal operating parameters. When the system detects a fault or abnormal condition, the fault will be logged, the vehicle operator will be advised that a fault has occurred by illumination a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). The module may initiate the engine shutdown procedure if the system determines that the fault could damage the engine. In some situations when a fault is detected, the system will enter a "derate" mode. The derate mode allows continued vehicle operation but the system may substitute a sensor or signal value that may result in reduced performance. In some instances, the system will continue to function but engine power may be limited to protect the engine and vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) logged in the system memory can later be read, to aid in diagnosing the problem using a Premium Tech Tool. The VECU and ECM are dependent on each other to perform their specific control functions. In addition to switch and sensor data, the broadcast of data between modules also includes various calculations and conclusions that each module has developed, based on the input information it has received.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Valve cover was replaced, stickers are not on new cover shop disposed of valve cover before I could get pics of the tags
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thank you for the update and I can feel your pain when it comes to missing tag information scenarios. As you can see in my last post that Volvo is now keeping all of that information in the tech tool software program unfortunately. On the older engines you can get the test pages however. Times are changing and in a way to keep the work going back to the dealer or selling the diagnostic software and subscriptions.

Daniel Wilson