Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2012 freightliner with 6.7 Cummins. Truck has just had turbo…

Customer Question
2012 freightliner with 6.7 Cummins...
2012 freightliner with 6.7 Cummins. Truck has just had turbo reinstalled and now the actuator is throwing codes. Picture of codes attached. Currently looking at turbo actuator harness connector at actuator it seems like the wiring configuration is different from the wiring diagram found on quickserve - see associated picture.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/29/2021
Technician: Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician replied 1 year ago
Nich1019
Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Nick and I'll be helping you out today. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I'll be right with you.I see the VGT wiring. Can you send the faults again? Also can you provide the engine serial number?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With codes cleared they come back almost immediately.
Sorry for the delay. Those faults look like they are likely from a faulty VGT actuator or open wiring to the VGT actuator. The VGT actuator has a resistor built in for the cummins aftermarket J1939 circuit.The diagram looks correct. I'm not sure if the wiring changes position from the jumper. But I think all cummins turbos are going to be wired like the diagram.I will check voltage using a chassis ground. Then I'll use the alternator positive to check the ground at the connector for VGT. Now do you have 12 volts and ground with the key on? And with the key off do you have 120 ohms of resistance at pins 3 and 4 on the harness side and on the VGT side?Also, do you have a known VGT actuator to plug in? It does not have to be installed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pin Voltage using chassis ground measured at vgt jumper connector pins with key on
#1: ground #2: 2.2 #3: 2.2 #4: 12.5
Checked resistance between 3 and 4 with key off: .65I may compare to different truck. We have other trucks with same cummins engine so I imagine turbo electrical should be the same?
Check resistance between 2 and 3.Looks like 2 and 3 are J1939.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
001Just to be clear I'm measuring at the vgt connector with the connection to the ecu still connected.
Based on your measurements it looks like pin 1 is ground, 2 and 3 are J1939 and pin 4 is voltage. There should be 120 ohms between the 2 J1939 wires. If you give me the serial number I can pull up the diagram on quickserve. Is that the diagram you're using?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Yes I am using the diagram from quickserve. If 2 and 3 measure that low does that mean there may be a short somewhere in this j1939 circuit?
Check the jumper first. Then check around the front of the engine and behind the alternator.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Morning. Today I'm resuming diag of this trucks issue. Weirdly, the meter oeads were left connected over the weekend and this morning just turned on meter to recheck resistance and now it ls showing 120 between 2 and 3 - as it should im assuming. The contradiction is that on Friday I was measuring almost no resistance in same circuit. Ill continue to inspect wiring unless you have a better idea.
That sounds good to me. I would love the meter attached and then manipulate the harness to see if you can find a bad spot.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey so now the wiring is acting completely normally. Did note that with key on the 120 ohms goes to "0" and with key on have batt voltage across the other 2 wires. Do you think its time to take a hard look at the actuator? Is there a decisive bench test for the turbo actuator? It does seem to calibrate without an issue but it seems to throw the actuator codes fairly quickly when tested on road.Should j1939 actuator circuit drop all resistance with key on?Is it true that the turbo actuator gear should free spin? Note that the sector gear lever on the turbo moves freely.
The resistance reading will change with the key on. There's no published value with the key on.There is no bench test for the actuator. This J1939 circuit problem that your having is sometimes very hard to pinpoint. Especially if you have to roadtest the truck to get the fault to log.The book states that the VGT actuator should move freely with the key on.A test VGT actuator may be the best test to perform next. Do you have a known good actuator to use for a test?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ill find oneIf the vgt looses its calibration throwing code 2449, could this be related to the j1939 circuit possibly having an issue or is it more likely an issue with the actuator itself?
That is likely an issue with the actuator itself.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey.. so tried a turbo actuator from a different truck with same engine but the actuator wasn't compatible apparently. Maybe its a truck side thing : this trucks a freightliner 6.7 and I tried to borrow a Ford 6.7 actuator. It would install but would not complete the calibration successfully. They do have different part numbers. Ok so now the original actuator will not complete calibration which likely means its defective just ironic that it would calibrate previous to trying the other actuator and now its not going to. Tempted to just order a new actuator for this truck but might be wise to try an actual freightliner 6.7 actuator? However If this actuator will not calibrate at all then the malfunction is likely the actuator itself and this calibration failure likely means the actuator is damaged requiring replacement, would you agree?BTW the Ford actuator calibrat3d without issue on the reinstall
if it won't calibrate it's usually the actuator. As long as battery voltage is good and sector shaft can sweep. I would replace the actuator.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok have you ever heard of or seen different turbo actuators on same base engine?
No. They may be slightly different models though. There's a number after B6.7 CM2350 like b135 or b121. I bet those are different. I'm more into the heavy duty side. Most of the B engines I see are in KWs and Peterbilts. I don't see many Freightliners or Fords.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey.. so replaced the turbo actuator and no longer have issues with truck setting fault codes and power seems normal. Issue now is that during test drive on return trip truck would light up dash hot exhaust light at stop signs? Have you ever seen a truck do this?
it must have been performing a passive regen while driving. If you complete a full, good regen and then test drive again the light probably won't come on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey. Performing regen. Got engine to operating temp 1st. Noticing grayish smoke from exhaust- should I continue with regen or stop it to address smoke?No cels
If you have smoke coming out of DPF, then the DPF is damaged. You can remove it, inspect and replace it. While it's off perform a snap test.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could the new turbo cause it to smoke at all?Regen Temps never got above 350...Maybe something with the turbo again?
The turbo shouldn't cause it to smoke.It has normal power on a road test? And no faults now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats correct. But I do notice its kind of running rough and still has acrid smelling smoke and no celInsite shows the turbo actuator responding apparently normally
Ok, I would perform some cylinder cut out tests and see if you can attribute the issue to a cylinder.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.. do you think its significant that it never ran this poorly or had issues with regen Temps before this turbo was installed?
Well yes, possibly. Was the sector shaft rotated fully clockwise upon installation of the actuator?
Some turbos have the sector gear to the front, some to the back for installation. But they are all rotated fully clockwise.Is the turbo winding up on the road? You can hear it and it sounds normal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe so. During regen turbo was at 30k
If the turbo is the cause of this, I think that you would see smoke during a snap test. That's with aftertreatment disconnected.I'm not 100% sure, but I think that I would expect more than 30k.Is this a 2250 or 2350?
Actually 30k is ok for this engine. It's supposed to be 18k to 28k.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'm concerned as to why doc dpf and scr only got to 350 during regen. Haven't seen that occur with this truck. Only change is new turbo and exhaust manifold gaskets. Its almost like the extra fuel required for regen was being burnt in aftertreatment system.
Can you perform a snap test with the aftertreatment disconnected?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will. A different truck just started to throw scr codes. Found apparent clog at def injection port then found that the doser injector would spray def during the leak test which I believe should not occur.. also found that def injector tip was slightly seeping. I'm assuming any seepage is out of spec as it seems to cause a clog of dried def to form
Yeah, it shouldn't seep at all.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Morning, resuming with this diag on this truck. Th
Today when starting up for first time truck immediately tries to go into regen but when Temps are che ked its the same as when a forced regen is requested at about 300 f for all 3 so obviously way off.
You're saying that the temps are at 300 right away?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
300 at dpf doc svr and it seems like that's the maximum this thing will do. Its strange as it has never done this before (since replacing turbo with a remained that messed up 2x already) and there are no fault codes.
Can you re calibrate the ECM?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont have cummins access beyond a basic insite membership so unless you know of another way I dont believe I can calibrate software.
I don't know of another way. But that's something I would do if I could.Can you start a regen and send me readings.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At key off I have 3.94 v at the dpf intake temp sensor. Is this too high?Could the egr valve cause this condition?
3.94v is probably fine. It probably goes down as temperature rises.If the EGR differential pressure is near 0 during a regen it's not the issue.Look at turbocharger percent closed, 100%. And look at exhaust gas pressure. The ECM closes down the turbocharger to create heat and pressure. It shoots for between 120 to 160 in hg exhaust gas pressure. The fact that it is at the maximum, 100% and the pressure is near ambient air pressure means the turbo is not doing its job. It is either not calibrated correctly, the turbo is no good or the actuator is the issue. It is not likely the actuator.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That makes sense.. what's the smell from? Is extra fuel being added as a result of low exhaust pressure?
Well the air/fuel ratio is just not right. So it's not burning correctly. I would guess that there's not enough air.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Recalibrated turbo actuator but no change - at all. I agree exhaust gas pressure too low. I guess I should pull turbo. Is there a visual or mechanical indication of turbo failure that can be checked in our shop?
Are you sure that that sector shaft moves easily with no binding? Try to put a small amount of pressure straight down with 1 finger and then sweep it back and forth?I just checked the book. There are only basic checks. No teardown.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it felt ok.. BTW it was seized last time we had issue with truck. But no, the gear moved freely at this point.1 finger..
Did they send pictures of the shroud plate/ nozzle ring? Or tell you why it was siezed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They said it was dirty but not beyond that. They apparently replaced the sector gear and other seals some other small parts. Noticed today that data says that egr cooler only at 75% efficiency- I've typically seen this value much higher. Does this indicate a clogged egr cooler? How is it calculated?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Disregard last questionWhy does truck immediately go into regen when started? What data is used?
Usually the historic pressure readings of the DPF trigger a regen. When the ECM thinks that the soot load is elevated it will initiate a regen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. If the turbo isn't able to increase exhaust pressure during a forced regen is it possible that greyish smoke is produced - not huge clouds but it smells really bad?
What does it smell like?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very unpleasant I guess I would call it "acrid" its almost sweetish smelling but really pungent too
Take the EGR crossover pipe off , run the engine and gauge the flow with your hand.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will have chance to try in morning maybe
Ok, let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took truck back to turbo shop - they wanted to see truck malfunction for themselves. The guy told us 'no more favors' too funny. Well see
Haha. Yeah, let me know.