Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Ran out of fuel while idling. Won’t restart. Klamath Ottawa.

Ran out of fuel...

Ran out of fuel while idling. Won’t restart.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Klamath Ottawa. Probably less than 10 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just refueled and tried to restart.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Truck Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Hoping these models don’t need to be bled like older Diesel engines. I don’t see a primer pump.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2021
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

What engine? Cummins L10? Fuel filters need to be removed and filled with fuel, then reinstalled. Turn the key on and let the electric fuel pump run till it stops, turn off the key, wait a few seconds, and cycle the fuel pump again, cycle it maybe 5 times, then try and start the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I’ll give it a go. Will get back to you.

Sure, use the link in your email.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Curtis, I wasn’t able to get back to you till now. Thank you very much. Your solution was right on.