2001 International 4900 VIN ***************** Unit runs great, then eventually dies. C.E.L. will come on then will lose

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 2001 International 4900
VIN *****************Unit runs great, then eventually dies. C.E.L. will come on then will lose throttle sometimes it will die and sometimes it will not. Unit has no hp oil leaks and customer put new low pressure pump and and high, Also has all new injectors.the only code that is coming up is 164 fmi 10.
Any help would be appreciated.
Answered by wtolkson in 4 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
wtolkson
Auto Mechanic
logo

Specialities include: Auto Body Technician, Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Duty Engine Repairs, Brake and Transmission Repairs

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline between 3-4 Pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2-3 pm CST for the day.

code SPN 164 FMI 10 is translated to international as their fault code 333. Here is the description and troubleshooting :

DTC 333 - ICP above/below the desired level

DTC 333 indicates an injection control system response time fault and maybe set during normal engine operation through the continuous monitor function or during the KOER Standard Test.

DTC 333 is set by the ECM when the measured pressure does not match the pressure expected by the ECM. DTC 333 will be set if the measured value is less than or greater than 3 MPa (435 psi) of desired injection control pressure for a period greater than 7 seconds.

When DTC 333 is active, the ECM will ignore feedback from the ICP sensor and control the IPR valve from programmed default values. The amber ENGINE lamp will be illuminated when DTC 333 is active.

Possible causes for DTC 333 include the following:

Low oil level in crankcase
High oil level in crankcase
Contaminated engine oil
Debris in engine oil
Aerated engine oil
Trapped air in the ICP system (particularly after an injector or high-pressure pump replacement)
Intermittent IPR valve wiring connection. Inspect engine wiring harness connector and IPR valve terminal for corrosion. Inspect terminal for bent or pushed back pins.
Inoperative or stuck injection pressure regulator
Leaks in the ICP system
Leaks in Brake Control Pressure (BCP) system or failed brake shut-off valve

Customer
I’ve got all that information of of Mitchell it’s something weird or I am overlooking something

Thank you for the response.

What have you tried or replaced so we are not repeating ourselves.

Customer
Unit came to shop with a rough idle and hard start/no start when hot. Diagnosed with 2 bad injectors, oil leak on another injector. Replaced all 6 injectors with new orings and seals, also replaced hpop and IPR valve. Unit came back to shop two week later with a complaint of shutting off intermittently and needing ether to start. Verified that ICP (actual and desired) and IPR were all in spec to start. Unit started when cold and ran well, once oil temp reached 118 degrees low side oil pressure dropped to 18psi and would not restart. Replaced low side oil pump, and front cover due to damage from pump.All replaced parts: low side oil pump, front cover, belt, all 6 injectors, hpop, IPR, fresh oil and filters.

Thank you for the response.

Well, you covered all the bases, should run like a top..................

I really have nothing to offer, except I would replace the ICP, even though it is within specs.

Can be failing.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
wtolkson
logo
logo
logo
Auto Mechanic
imglogo
wtolkson
Auto Mechanic
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.