Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2007 c15 cat acert engine in a 387 peterbilt it…

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 c15 cat acert engine in a 387 peterbilt it will not crank unless it is sprayed with starting fluid once it is shut off it will not crank back this is the time you cut it off wont start back

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Nxs is all i know right off hand

1/4/2021
Technician: Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician replied 1 year ago
Nich1019
Nich1019, Cummins/Caterpillar Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Nick and I'll be helping you out today. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I'll be right with you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are thinking possible check valve stuck open
If the engine runs normally and is completely warmed up but then won't restart, I don't think low compression would be an issue. There is a check valve built in to the inlet side of the fuel gear pump. You could be losing prime here. Does the engine run normally and have normal power under a load?The very first thing that I would check is the power supply to the ECM. This includes battery positive, negative and ignition supply. Check the battery connections thoroughly and you may need to measure battery and ignition voltage to the ECM while cranking to make sure its not dropping too low. If the voltage drops too low but the starting fluid gets the engine started, the voltage will come up and then the ECM will "wake up." I've actually seen this quite a few times. I'll send a engine wiring diagram in case you need it later.Yes, the check valve at the gear pump inlet or possibly the check valve on the outlet of the head. That valve is mounted on the secondary base just underneath where the injector return line connects. The return line runs from the back of the head to the secondary fuel base.
Nich1019
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We just replace all the batteries today I had two bad ones but it still just spins so I will do the simple things first
Here's the diagram in case you need it. You could pressurize a fuel tank through the vent with a rubber tipped blowgun, check for leaks and make sure the engine is completely primed. If it starts easy after being completely primed you'll know it's a fuel problem. You could also check to see if the hand primer is hard before cranking. There are also check valves in the hand primer.
Let me know what you find or if you need any other assistance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you
No problem.