Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2001 Mack ch 613 427. Engine fan will not come on when

Customer Question
2001 Mack ch 613...

2001 Mack ch 613 427. Engine fan will not come on when engine gets hot on a long hard pull. actuator is working, has constant power to it. When I unplug it is engages but not full power, I can actually stop it with my hand.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2001 Mack CH 3600 I think its a 613 427 Mack engine.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/2/2021
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 1 year ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1/2) Thank you Andy the problem is I cannot get my engine fan to come on when my temperature reaches hot. B actuator has power to it it is are driven fan clutc2/2) h it is a 2001 Mack(###) ###-####series I believe it's a 3613

When there is power to the solenoid , the fan should be disengaged . When the power and ground is taken away from the fan solenoid , you should hear and feel air exhaust from it and fan should lock fully by default . If it does not , it could be one of two things : one - the air line is pinched going to the fan and it cannot exhaust the air or two , the fan drive is defective and needs to be replaced .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1/2) When I unplug the solenoid the fan starts to engage but not Full Throttle I can actually stop it with my hand and I can hear it engage when I unplug the s2/2) olenoid

I would follow the air line from the fan solenoid to the fan clutch . Check for any signs of damage to the line . If not pinched or melted or anything , the problem is in the fan clutch itself unfortunately and will need to be replaced assuming the belt is in good condition and at the proper tension .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks1/2) One more thing the other day my Airlines froze up and I had to put air line antifreeze in it is it possible to Airline might have gotten clogged from some2/2) debris?

Not likely but if you doubt the line , it is way cheaper to replace the line from the fan solenoid to the clutch . It is no more than a 10 dollar fix ... See if that cures it . The air must completely come out of the fan clutch or fan will not engage fully . With no air to it , it defaults to fully locked and engaged .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Under the truck now

Good luck ! Hopefully just a plugged, pinched or melted air line going to it ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds like the fan clutch is engaging but the fan does not start. From this I assume I need a new fan clutch. What say you?

I cannot tell from that very well . Try disconnecting the air line from it and run the engine to see if fan stays on all the time and locked solid . Rev it up at high rpms to see if fan speed follows rpm . You will be able to tell by the sound of the fan . There should be no squealing of any kind coming from either the fan belt of the fan clutch .