Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a cat 3126 does not have 12v in the ipr plug.

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 3126 does not have 12v in the ipr plug

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar 3126 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

The engine is running and suddenly it went off and has not started anymore

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have volts in the ICP

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/14/2020
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 1 year ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Can you elaborate on your question please?
Are you measuring the voltage to the ipr while cranking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not measuring it with the switch on
The ecm will not send voltage to the ipr until the ecm receives an rpm signal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before this change the oring of the injectors. Then I started and it was on for 30 minutes and it turned off and does not want to start again
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when he turned the key the yellow engine light did not illuminate
Thanks for the information.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you send me some diagram of the 1999 freightliner fl60 fuse box and the location of the ecm fuse
Sorry. I do
Not have access to freightliner info.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks
You are very welcome. I am happy I could help.