Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 07 Volvo VNl it started and ran good pulled in the…

Customer Question
I have a 07...

I have a 07 Volvo VNl it started and ran good pulled in the shop to change a tire, the truck shut off like you turned off the key. Now there is no power to the key and nothing will work other than the dome light

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent, no power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Volvo?

VNL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES, Checked batteries, are good, found seloind on firewall can get engine to crank but won't fire

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really we have never had problem before this

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/16/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your truck. I know this can be frustrating. Please allow me a few moments to look over your question and I will be right back with you. Thank you

The relay that is on the firewall is the starter relay. If the ignition power went out I would check the ignition switch fuses in the fuse panel and make sure they have power on both sides. If that is fine, I would check for power at the ignition main at the switch in the steering column. If power is missing from the fuse then check the firewall where the main power cables go to the power studs. Make sure those are clean and tight on the inside and outside of the firewall. Sometimes these can come loose. Check the starter connections also as this is the main connection point for different cab function circuits. I would also check the relay activation for the ignition switch functions. These are also located right in the fuse panel. I hope this helps with your issue. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you.

We shook the main wiring harness on the firewall and everything came back to life and is back to normal. Any suggestions on what to do with this?

Yes, Check those main studs. I would also remove the cab pass thru connector and make sure there is no corrosion inside.

Ok does the connector unbolt, or unclip?

It has a bolt in the middle of the connector, As you are unscrewing the bolt gently pull the connector towards you.

Ok sounds good thanks for your help

My pleasure, Have a good day