Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Had to do parked regen after derate. didnt fix the issue. I…

Had to do parked...

Had to do parked regen after derate. didnt fix the issue. I called a roadside tech to come do a forced regen. He did 2 of them and $800 later Im still in derate mode. Tech said that I will have to go to dealer becasue the softeware he has has done everything he can do and dealer software can go deeper into engine to reset codes

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

15 mack cxu316 mp8

11/15/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 1 year ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I’d like to try and help. Please allow me a few moments to look over your question and I will be right back with you. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rgr10-4
Unfortunately when the unit is in derate and it will not respond with the switch it has to be reset with a service tool. There are a lot of aftermarket scan tools that can do this.Once in it will say scr derate reset then you can run a forced regen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tech that came out did 2 forced regensgot the soot level down to 19%everything should be ok to get back to normal operation according to the tech, but it isn't and I don't know enough to tell if he's lying or notI tried to disconnect the speed sensor on the back of the transmission to get around the issue and avoid a tow truck but that didn't work either. do you know of any other tricks that I could try?
The soot level is only in the dpf system the derate is for the scr system. The regen is ran to tell the engine ecm that the nox levels are normal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can I trick the computer into letting me drive?
What transmission do you have in your truck?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
eaton 10
manual
If you disconnect the vehicle speed sensor it will allow you to go over 5 mph it will just limit the rpms unless someone had changed the max engine speed without vss parameter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried disconnecting that one. Its located on the back of tranny where the driveshaft connects right?
that is correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there another one somewhere or something else that I can disconnect since that 1 didnt' work?it almost seems like the engine still knows how fast its going even tho the sensor is disconnected
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did you get the pic I sent
That is the sensor. Someone must have changed the parameter. There is no other sensor that you can disconnect. That is the only one. This is an emission related issue. That is why they implemented it that wayI would have the “max engine speed without vss” parameter changed to max when you have it looked at. It will prevent this the next time
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so im pretty much a sitting duck until a dealer hooks up to it with his computer then?
If that does not work yes. The only other option I can suggest is calling someone out to change that parameter and then you can drive to a dealer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can someone other than a dealer change that parameter?
if they have the right service tool
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok what do I need to ask them exactly, because Im pretty dumb haha
If they can change that parameter. They should know
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok cool. thanksjust ask them if they can change the parameter in the computer right?
that is correct.
No problem. Have a nice day
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you too!