Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2001 sterling acterra and it won’t start it turns…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 sterling acterra and it won’t start it turns over fine so I was looking at the fuel pump and I took out the solenoid( I guess it’s the fuel shut off I’m just guessing) and oil started leaking out so I don’t know what’s goin on

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2001 Sterling Acterra

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Truck Mechanic to know before I connect you?

3126 Cat Engine

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/1/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hi I’m Mike and I am a technician here on Just Answer and I hope you are having a great day, and will do my very best to get you back up and running as soon as possible and will answer any questions you may have . You will be prompted to accept a phone service, I personally do not offer this but you are welcome to take this and I or another technician will call . I am sorry that you are having issues and I know that this can be frustrating. Please understand that I am here to help. I have scattered availability during the day in the week but I am available most weekends. I am a user of this site just like you and use it on my spare time away from work and family to help people like yourself out.

On your issue, There are a few things that I would check on this cat. I would make sure the fuel delivery system is fine, Make sure you are getting fuel to the pump and out of the pump okay. When the solenoid is out, Make sure when you turn the key off and on the shut off solenoid is responding. Inside the pump is a flap that rides on the shut off solenoid. That must come back when the shut off valve is collapsed. I would make sure that it is. If that test fine, I would monitor the ICP pressure with a scan tool or service tool. This action will tell if you have an internal leak, or an issue with the pump itself. I hope this helps with your issue. Thank you

Thanx and will try that and get back to you late tmwI've read about these timing sensors can they also keep it from startingBut I'll start with the fuel line coming out of tank just to b sure it's not starving for fuel

The timing sensors in these do go bad from time to time, They can cause a no start or hard start problem. I have not had one that did not have a fault code for them if they are bad.

Ok I have no engine light
That solenoid isn't responding with key on and I have solenoid out and when I unplug it no response when I plug it back on no responseI must not be getting power tothe solenoid
Can u get me a screen of the fuse box identification label in the cab of my 2001 Sterling ActerraScreen shotMine is missing from cover for some reason

I am sorry but I do not have a fuse label picture for that model year. If the shut off valve is not activating and there is no check engine light, That is an indication that the ecm is not powering up. I would check for power and ground/ign to the ecm.

Do you have a place for me to check thatA PIN number or relay or fuse maybe
Do I have to take the T connector off of the ECM or is there a better option
There is a center bolt on the connector
Yeah but how to test to see if voltage is even going there to begin with, if u know what I meanI guess the fuse would b a good place
Unplug the connector and check for power at the pins with a meter
Man I'm trying my best not to go in there it's a nasty oily mess lol.... just bare with me
I'm working on it u still up or what time do I need to stop bothering uall good voltages 12.6They just told me that a No Engine light came on back when it first wouldn't crank a few months agoBut I haven't seen any light other than Heater light only when it crankingIntake Heater
I guess we can move on to step 6

The heater light is more on the OE side, I would connect to it and make sure the cam and crank signals are being seen, If they are I would see about a test module.

What about the No Engine light??

Have you checked to make sure the lamp is not out?

I haven't checked but what does it mean bad ECM

With the intake heater lamp coming out, That is mostly on the oe side but there is a signal that comes from the engine ecm that sends it on

When I turn the key on I don't even see the Check Engine light on at all

Do you have a scan tool that will read the truck side to do the clutch lamp test?

Nope

All of the lamps should come on right away when you turn the key on.

Well the only ones that do are the red ones oil seat belt and one that's a circle with 3 lines sticking out from outside of circle but no yellow lights

Okay, I would see about getting a scan tool direct for the engine and see if it will read.

Ok well is it the plug on top of the ICM it has a cap on it and I checked for power and it reads nothing